If we can do sake should our site include hard komuchas?

Therese i take it are breweed….same as Samall Town etc root beers?
I have bmy first one tonight. Kyla Hard Kombucha…its in an 11 oz botle and brewed in Hood River which means Full Sail.
Cn i enter this?

We’ve been here before, and the answer is “currently, no.”

Feel free to take tasting notes nonetheless and keep them in case we do allow it in the future - apparently there are people who would like to see that happening.

1 Like

I have zero interest personally, but then I also don’t rate Sake. It just feels like a bridge too far for me.

This stuff is gluten free - so not brewed like beer, and there’s no indication of the strange non-gluten things like spelt. Nor any indication it’s like cider or perry. It seems to be simply fermentation of sugar - not sugar derived from a “brewing process”. So it really should not count as anything for this site.

IS KYLA BEER? WHY DOES IT SAY ‘BEER’ ON KYLA’S LABEL?
No, KYLA is not beer. It’s a fermented tea beverage – not a malt beverage. However, the TTB (aka The Feds) classifies alcoholic kombucha as beer and therefore requires the word “beer” on the label. Go figure.

Kombucha is an effervescent beverage produced by fermenting tea and sugar with a living culture called a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast).

IS KYLA KOMBUCHA GLUTEN FREE?
It sure is, so please tell all your gluten-averse friends.

Doesn’t seem so. “Not Your Father’s Root Beer is a traditionally-made beer brewed with botanicals, spices, and herbs such as wintergreen, sarsaparilla bark, anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean and honey, to give it the taste of an old-fashioned root beer.” Wiki

Hard kombuchas almost (or actually?) by definition are not fermented in a beer/cider/perry/saki (redundant that?) “brewing process”.

Here in Michigan we have Unity Vibration: their products are all restricted as alcohol (with ABV > 0.5%), they brew a line of “kombucha beer,” and they’re members of the Brewers’ Guild and make appearances at festivals (which is great when you can get a certain member of your party to spend tokens on them instead of something actually alcoholic, haha) – but these are still not fermented grains.

I wouldn’t mind kombucha being added to the site, but as it is now they don’t meet the guidelines. I think I would probably buy the argument that, like cider and mead, they’re these days at least culturally associated with beer. That said, I have yet to notice any kombuchas with significant alcohol content (the alcohol has seemed more incidental to the process), so that could be a point of difference compared to cider and mead – but I can’t say I’ve really been paying attention to the latest kombucha news. It would certainly take some thought on the admins’ parts to establish proper guidelines, as they have for mead, cider, sake, kvass, radlers, and so on.

I couldn’t disagree more. I make my own kombucha and am part of a fermenting group on facebook where kombucha, kefir, vinegar etc. are all discussed and I’ve never seen anything about beer on there. The people of that group would say it is culturally closer related to yoghurt and sourdough bread than it is to any alcoholic drink. It is generally viewed as a healthy alternative to alcoholic drinks.

2 Likes

No hard kombuchas. No hard sodash pops. No lemonades.

1 Like