India split

Here it looks like it should be 29 states and 7 union territories? Is this correct? I just copied and pasted from a list somewhere so the right column can be ignored, it’s just capitals.

Andra Pradesh Hyderabad, Amaravati
Arunachal Pradesh Itangar
Assam Dispur
Bihar Patna
Chhattisgarh Raipur
Goa Panaji
Gujarat Gandhinagar
Haryana Chandigarh
Himachal Pradesh Shimla
Jammu and Kashmir Srinagar and Jammu
Jharkhand Ranchi
Karnataka Bangalore
Kerala Thiruvananthapuram
Madya Pradesh Bhopal
Maharashtra Mumbai
Manipur Imphal
Meghalaya Shillong
Mizoram Aizawi
Nagaland Kohima
Orissa Bhubaneshwar
Punjab Chandigarh
Rajasthan Jaipur
Sikkim Gangtok
Tamil Nadu Chennai
Telagana Hyderabad
Tripura Agartala
Uttaranchal Dehradun
Uttar Pradesh Lucknow
West Bengal Kolkata
Union Territories Capital
Andaman and Nicobar Islands Port Blair
Chandigarh Chandigarh
Dadar and Nagar Haveli Silvassa
Daman and Diu Daman
Delhi Delhi
Lakshadeep Kavaratti
Pondicherry Pondicherry

Two of those appear to have merged last year but otherwise it matches up with the ISO codes so looks good to me. But this is another country that would be nice to have some locals weigh in on.

Here’s a better formatted list from that ISO page above

Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Andhra Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh
Assam
Bihar
Chandigarh
Chhattisgarh
Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
Delhi
Goa
Gujarat
Haryana
Himachal Pradesh
Jammu and Kashmir
Jharkhand
Karnataka
Kerala
Ladakh
Lakshadweep
Madhya Pradesh
Maharashtra
Manipur
Meghalaya
Mizoram
Nagaland
Odisha
Puducherry
Punjab
Rajasthan
Sikkim
Tamil Nadu
Telangana
Tripura
Uttar Pradesh
Uttarakhand
West Bengal

One issue I think will be the name of “Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu” going over the character limit that services mentioned in another thread. Perhaps replacing the and’s with commas or hyphens would be enough.

Number of breweries in India feels somewhat low considering what an absolutely massive country it is. There seems to be three major craft beer areas, Delhi, Bangalore, and Gurgaon. Outside of these three cities breweries are sparse.

UT wasn’t much help either with so many missing region data at the moment, got a few more states but even with these added to RB I reckon there’s around 15 states possibly without a brewery.

I’m not sure India is ready for a split at the moment?

2 Likes

India has some dry states, so I would be very surprised if they all had breweries.

That explains a lot, I didn’t even realise that.

Interesting one then. On the one hand I would like to see India split simply due to it’s sheer size, but with many empty states it maybe not all that worthwhile? Seems like people would be searching beers at a city level rather than state level?

Of course we can wait, doesn’t have to be priority. Other pro argument is it’s a way of attracting more people in a growing scene. Because ya, when I was there last year, definitely it’s growing in Mumbai, Goa, and Delhi. Bangalore is supposed to be have a big craft brewing scene as well.

But there are dry states. Even the cans you get some places all have to say legally that they were not brewed in X state. Probably for when people cross the state borders to buy beer and bring it into said state.

@omhper : what’s your opinion about India split? considering the ISO list would give us bunch of states without breweries?

Do these dry states not have N/A beers? That would make them tickable in the same way that Iran and Saudi Arabia can be ticked as countries.

Came across this article about one of the dry states:

1 Like

The craft beer scene is booming ( at least was pre-Covid), but it is based on brewpubs, as there is further restrictions on bottling, Brewpubs OTOH are being allowed in more and more states, and there are tons of them. To me it makes sense to split into states, even though there will be a lot of dry states.

3 Likes

I’m happy to vote for going ahead with splitting if that’s the case then. And actually thinking back to what solidfunk said elsewhere, it makes sense to do it now while we have fewer breweries, less effort required now to update them all than say in a few years when there’s been an explosion of craft beer with perhaps hundreds more breweries and places to update.

Might be a bit odd right now with a whole bunch of empty states but they won’t necessarily stay that way in the future.

2 Likes

Actually those dry states are quite interesting to know for anyone backpacking/travelling through India at some point. Shows what regions to ignore beerwise.

3 Likes

So I’ve modified the one name above for shortening by adding commas. Otherwise this should be the list, right?

2 Likes