Italian-Style Pils are a thing in US?

I just stumbled upon this article. I did not know there was a Italian Pils style (and no, it’s not a pils with mozzarella, tomato and basilico).

Can US users confirm it’s a thing? :smiley:

Ive had this one

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/firestone-walker-pivo-hoppy-pils/152845/

This one has been around for quite a few years. Almost always available.

Sixpoint’s recent brewery only release included an Italian pils.

Stunning! I am Italian and drink German pils (I do not like Tipopils, for example), but looks like this style is super common overseas :smiley:

Yup, just talked with an American living in Czechia (some know Ryan here) a couple of days ago about that. They are just supposed to be even more heavily hopped pilsners than normal. Tipopils is supposed to be the “original”.

1 Like

Yes, agree with all of the above. It is still a fairly rare style but I have definitely seen iterations popping up (at least in the Northeast).

@services - I see the heart icon - where’s the “hate” button?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I probably had more Tipopils than anybody else of this site

2 Likes

But yeah, stupid when “a bit more hoppy” becomes a new style in somebody’s universe

4 Likes

If “Italian Style Pils” just means “Hoppy Pils,” then yes we have them in the US. No one calls it Italian Style Pils, though.

2 Likes

Working Draft in Madison, WI makes a killer Italian Pils. It isn’t about being hoppier, it’s about the water profile.

Must be expensive to import all that Italian water.

2 Likes

https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewing-water-target-profiles/

2 Likes

So there is a style “Italian Pils” that’s clearly defined only because there’s a water style “Italian Water” that’s clearly defined?

Be careful how you answer.

1 Like

aha, so its just a dryhopped pils, plenty of those in Germany as well now. There are fashion trends in brewing, every few years a new twist on the old appears - not everything warrants being called a new style.

Doesn’t Schiehallion predate Tipopils? I’m pretty sure I encountered it in the 90s.

It’s still a white whale for me. Really frustrating not to have managed to try it when I was in Italy.