Just talk about beer

I’ve been drinking a lot of good beer. The availability of top stuff is increasing in the shires. I’ve got a few decent Germans in the fridge awaiting consumption.

I’ve also gotten three new states in the last six weeks. Found a New Mexico beer at the Bedford Beer Festival of all places.

Spending a lot of time in BrewDog Leicester getting some of the collabs still floating about. Last month went to a few places around, including (Cotteridge Wines for the first time) and the Neon Raptor taproom.

What’s annoyed me? Pubs that can’t keep cask. Less often a problem than it used to be but still pisses me off.

Well I am coming to the end of my 6 day London odyssey. Well 5 if you take Brighton out.
Yesterday i started at Waterloo Tap which provided a couple of rates but i have never warmed to the place as a venue.
Then onto the Beer Hawk bar. Which was fine. Empty and in a weird office area just off Blackfriars Bridge. 3 thirds and rates there.
Then BrewDog Tower Hill to meet alovelydrop and drink Hill Farmstead and some BrewDog and guest beers
Today I have visited the Goose Island bar in Shoreditch. Not a great welcome there was some filming going on that kept the staff busy. But they are brewing there. Own beers to appear soon so I guess they will be rates as a new brewery? ?

1 Like

Now I am sat in the new Mikkeller bar in Shoreditch. A fair number of new beers for me.as I kinda gave up drinking Mikkeller beers a few years back as I could never work out what the beer was from the label. 13 new beers on draught. So it may take some time. Sat at the bar. Pretty good bar. Good welcome and chat with the guys behind the bar .

1 Like

Just Craft Beer Old Street left on my to do list.

And I still didn’t even touch Bermondsey. London is a crazy place for beer these days. Just a shame it takes a long time to get from one place to another due to the crap traffic situation.

On the weekend, I started my crawl in a pub holding a beer launch by a brewery I’m quite intimate with. Ordered the launched beer. Was pretty crap, not even really matching the declared style/tweaks. Headed out on a crawl. I find out later, well into beerth gear, that they’d put the wrong bloody beer on! Of course, I had to go back for the real thing, but as the last beer of the evening[*], it didn’t get the attention it deserved.

At least there will be bottles for a rerate…

[* Well, that was the plan, I’m shit at following plans that late in the evening. Even the “last beer” in the pob after that turned into a travesty, as I went next door to a Portuguese wine bar and had a port to finish the evening off.]

1 Like

Any port in a storm… :smiley:

Yes. I’ve been so used to average / poor condition cask for so long that it actually took me by surprise when I went into a pub which did care. It’s beyond frustrating that so few pubs can be bothered, and also frustrating that no one seems to care. Thankfully I now have a new micropub about 20 mins away with owners that care about serving cask in perfect condition. There is hope for cask yet.

Managed to bag HF Florence at BD TH tonight. Still 3 on tap … Anna and Grass roots brother soigne. Plenty of bottles in the fridge also.

Florence was a top notch saison.

Yeah, if I stay within my tried and tested half dozen decent cask pubs in Leicester, I’m okay.

1 Like

Currently drinking some Cloudwater Small Beer whilst watching ‘They shall not grow old’

My record for beer parcels from Germany is improving. 3 parcels now, each time with broken bottles. However just one down today.

Ticked off Belarus with a Kvass and a Mead.

Cloudwater tweeted 20 minutes back to confirm todays opening of the Bermondsey taproom at 15.00.

Still in London @harrisoni

I hope to pop down for a quick look and a few beers at 16.00.

No back in TrAshford I am afraid. I’ll just have to put up with these 2 Kernel pale ales. And these 4 new German beers that landed on my desk this morning from a colleague.

Don’t post often but always jealous of others beery expoits. I’m a heating engineer and on call 3 nights a week at the minute. So struggle getting out much the Mrs is a nurse and works odd hours so it seems I’m either working or looking after the kids. Manage to get out about every three weeks when everything aligns. Gutted there is a bit of an ale trail in Rochdale Friday Saturday Sunday and the flying horse has a cloudwater takeover with the cask ale releases all on and I’m working all weekend. Enjoying (well not so much) a bottle of batemans combined harvest from b and m. Happy weekend drinking ratebeerians.

5 Likes

Had a good session in Paris, La Fine Mousse delivered as normal, some good beers from Popihn, who are developing the lead for IPA in France, Bruery Tap take over, so a few powerful beers to end the night, including Poterie, which at 16.1% was perhaps one too many on a Tuesday :slight_smile:

I tend to do a lot of my ticking on a lunchtime, hence all the golden ales. Could make excuses to visit the London offices but I’d be paranoid about losing my laptop.

1 Like

Good to have you around.

1 Like

I am at the rugby at Twickenham this Saturday so the best i am going to get beer wise is Guinness. Ho and indeed hum.

Missed this thread somehow. Currently in Devon, staying in the dead village of Witheridge. Visiting a new micro-pub in South Molton today, may add it to the database depending on choice and quality.

Have two places to review so far from this visit plus a few beers, with four new bottles/cans to take home already.

Brain’s SA in cask form was taken in the Tiverton Spoons. I know I have had it many times, but somehow never actually rated it.

<*))))))><