Mayorships

That’s my point, they should. How can really say you can vouch for the place, when you haven’t been there. Here’s my example: My friend (one of the top mayors) will drink a beer and then go, “well they probably have it all of these markets and at the tap room, so I’ll check all the boxes.” he doesn’t actually know if they have it there or not. He just wants to be a top mayor. I’m pretty diligent about only logging the place I got the beer, and in the case of bottles I may log it once when I bought it, and again when I drank it. So I think the check in has a lot of value to say “I’ve been here and know what they have” . for the few mayorships I have, I can actually pretty much tell you all about the place, and in some cases, know the people who work there. That’s what it should be about.

Well, that’s just wrong.

That’s what the place ratings and updates thereto are for.

Look at it this way: We have a list of top place raters. Mayorships are actually a list of top beer attributers. Two different things which need not be commingled.

On some of the “top” lists there is an anomaly of sorts. Admins get credits for “editing” things. But nothing is perfect.

Oh well, top Attributer is better than top Check-In anyway. I always add availability for the beers I’m tasting on site right after I check-In…

OK, I can’t buy anything by being the mayor of a beer place.
But the system of mayorships is weird. I’m the mayor of 't Koelschip in Ostend, although I only rated two beers I’ve bought at that place so far. On the other hand I rated around fifty beers from Schneiders in Saarlouis, but the mayor from that place only rated one single beer on the whole site.

Although, as long as I remain the mayor of Craft Corner, I’m satisfied.

(Sorry for digging out an old thread.)

The Mayorship system works in semi-mysterious ways. For example if an admin does a beer at a place adjustment (sometimes necessary to correct our entry mistakes), it seems that counts as a point*. So some of the top mayors are likely to be admins. One can only acquire 1 point a day. So logging in 5 beers at a spot in “the same day” only acquires 1 point. If a person logs in 2 beers in a day, but the beers land either side of the time when a new day starts on the servers, then that’s 2 points. If 2 people have the same points at a spot, the tie usually goes to the one with more points. Sometimes not, but that may go to the multi-server thing not immediately coordinating between servers.

The foregoing may not be correct, but it squares with my observations.

*Same rule seems to apply to modification/correction of places. So an admin could have more “place ratings” numbers than actual written ratings.