My first 5.0

Come to Estonia around 11th June when Tallinn Crap Beer Fest takes place (organized by FatPhil and Anna). Can’t promise 0.5, but there have been always some really bad beers :slight_smile:

Also, I like how people are quick to point out that rbrians don’t give out too many 5.0-s, and hence don’t use “the full scale”, but ignore the fact that most people also don’t give out sub 1.0 too often.

1 Like

Majority of my ratings are between 3.2-3.7 I’d say (without doing the math to confirm). 3.4 is kind of my default / starting score - 7/3/7/3/14 and I move things up or down from there.

I only have 14 <1.0 ratings, and most of them deserve it. It’s actually harder to get a 0.5 than a 5.0 in some ways - Getting a 1 in appearance and overall is difficult imho. I think in both cases it is often a case of a beer that’s a 4.7 or a 0.7 (for example) that the rater likes or hates enough to shift the numbers.

1 Like

I’d love to go to that, sounds wonderful! We can’t really travel at the moment… is it an annual event?

Top rating of 4.8 then 3 more at 4.7. I’m ready for a 5 if someone can make a beer that fits my requirements perfectly.

I agree. Even if a beer tastes like dirty dishwater, they seldom look like dirty dishwater. So a 1 in appearance is very rare imo.

That may be to the fact most of us are not masochists and are trying to stay away from such beers. I’d even dare to say I’m actively looking for 4.5+ beers. But also have to admit there is more fun in tasting utter 1.0 crap than some dull 3.4 average beer you’ve tried thousand times before.

2 Likes

It’s fun to share terrible beers in a group and enjoy the discussion. Less fun to drink them by yourself LOL

3 Likes

Yeah I’m similar, my default being 6 or 7 for aroma and taste with 4 for appearance and finish. I used to think of 3.3 as my go-to but now more like 3.4. I think this is because I am drinking better beer these days, not because I’ve gotten kinder. However 2021 was the first year that the gap widened between my average and overall average of beers I rated.

I feel like it’s hard to rate decent but not great beers below 2.8, so i conceded that I am bad at using the whole scale. But beer is generally a good thing, most beers i drink are good, so maybe the lower half should be used for true transgressors.

An online ‘terrible beer’ meetup? We geet beer we know will not be good and commiserate together.

A well meaning colleague of mine got me a 4-pack of world lagers for Christmas. Stella, Moretti, Becks and Amstel. Moretti and Becks are passable but the other two are evil. I’ve already got a couple - Ive rated them before but always happy to revisit a classic!

Similar to Glen, 4.8 but then one 4.7 and a number at 4.6. I would really like to see sessionability as a marker as I think this would level matters up with some bitters, pilsners, wheat beers etc muscle in on the lambic and imperial stout domination. I guess that I could factor this in myself, and add additional points.

3 Likes

Nice list :partying_face:

Stage 6 seems where most experienced Ratebeerians are at.

But how many of these does @FatPhil get for that festival, or are brought by the participant’s, @martjoobolut , @jjsint, @jercraigs ?

https://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

I’ve only had 7.

Or perhaps he could have a Tap Takeover by these guys: https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/molson-coors-usa-miller-brewing-company-molson-coors/75/

<*))))))><

I’ve only rated 3. Ive certainly had more… but even still I have so much awfulness ahead of me to experince.

1 Like

Yep, it’s an annual event. Took place even last year and year before that.

Harder now when people don’t travel. Back when traveling to US was easier, some excellent American crap was provided by @VastActiv . Unfortunately American crap is otherwise quite hard to get in EU. But yes, Americans really know how to do a proper crap beer!

One could only dream!

2 Likes