New beer page test coming Tuesday, 20 March!

That page looks like it’s missing the location information on that beer. You might want to put that back.

5 Likes

What’s up with the ‘most recent’ not showing the most recent ratings first? @joet @services

Perhaps it’s been mentioned before but I haven’t seen it discussed. It bothers me a little bit, I usually check out the latest ratings when viewing the beer page.

Edit: first screenshot is the first ratings that are show, the second screenshot is when I scroll down. The beers in the top one have been rated less then a month ago/21 days ago, the ratings from the bottom screenshot are less then a minute ago and three days ago.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before as well, and I’ve seen others comment on it to no reaction.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting sort order issues. We’ll definitely take a look.

OK, it took us a while to track this down. And it’s actually a feature. :slight_smile:

The sort is by most recent in your own language and then by most recent in other languages. This is confusing though because when one clicks “most recent”, one expects a date sort by most recent. We are thinking about best solutions now. What do you think?

Sort by date. If that’s what most people expect why make it weird, sorting by language preference first?

5 Likes

I think “Most recent” should be most recent whatever language. Maybe add a tick box for “Own language first”?

4 Likes

That is honestly such a stupid question. Just sort by date. Who gives a shit what language it’s in? If people really want that then just add a filter for “only show ratings in [language]” (give us an option for those who are multilingual).

I don’t see any need to segregate ratings by language unless the user chooses so. I’ve literally never seen anyone ask for this “feature”.

4 Likes

I don’t want that feature then. Sort by date should be sort by date, not something else.

2 Likes

I’d actually like to have it as an extra. It’s an easy way to see if any locals have had it without having to go to the My Friends tab, and to see if there are any fellow ratebeerians in the area you haven’t met yet. And what CH-303 said.

1 Like

I am wary of being too anglocentric… our plan is to embrace potential users regardless of language.

Jesse and I agreed with the majority here. Switch it sorting by most recent, and wait for better traction in the form of more non english reviews before adding a preferences switch in the profile.

1 Like

Deconstructing RateBeer…beer by beer… :radioactive::biohazard:

3 Likes

This. Especially since most raters who are from a country speaking my language still write their ratings in English - as I do myself.

2 Likes

Beer ratings should be More Recent by default, without any condition.

3 Likes

If there’s going to be an option to choose reviews based on language, I think it would be a lot better if it were similar to Yelp: default is showing all reviews, but then you can use a drop-down menu to show only reviews in a specific language.

6 Likes

Still no way to add tags on the normal desktop website.

On the right. You don’t have this?

Only if there are existing tags. If I add a new beer, there is no way to add tags.

2 Likes

I hope this will be implemented soon.