New Beer Styles/Changes

@RichTheVillan this is my #1 complaint about the site right now - they are fixing what isn’t broke, and ignoring what is broke

10 Likes

I was hoping for separation of Grodziskie/Gose/Lichtenhainer styles, looks like I have to wait “bit” longer :confused:

3 Likes

lol wut

Check sarcasm detector settings, Adam.

2 Likes

It’s probably easier to find this way in larger categories like IPA or Stout, Lambic etc.

Noooooooo!!! I have to drink 23 more Helles beers and 14 more Dortmunders to reach 50 of each style now. The gods do not smile on me today. ANd here I was just in Berlin, blissfully avoiding plenty of both.

2 Likes

BTW what happens with hazy double IPAs? Do they all go in the NE style or stay in double IPA? Or do we need another category for double NE style IPAs?

1 Like

The people involved are not the same; most of the discussion about styles involves content admins (they guys you “know”, write to, read from, meet at festivals etc).
The developers (services for example) are not involved, yet.

In any case, it’s good to keep modernizing the site.
Surely I wish that the new Search, the new Beer Page and the new Add Beer page were rolled out with some more testing and after fixing known bugs, but at the same time they are an improvement, or potential improvement, for Ratebeer.

So, I’ll leave “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” to some bloke in overalls drinking from a mason jar.

1 Like

I think there will be a Hazy IIPA.

1 Like

Anyway, whatever admins are involved in switching Hazy IPAs over, you can just blanket switch over all IPAs from these breweries in the DC/Va/Md area

Aslin
Commonwealth
The Veil
The Answer
Triple Crossing
Cushwa
Big Oyster

Yeah no doubt when you are scrolling through the list of beer styles adding a beer it is easier to locate, and easier on the eye when they are listed alongside each other on that list.

I dont think this benefit is worth the change, id much rather see Baltic Porter as a style name.

2 Likes

On the other 2 sites it’s Dortmunder/Export and a separate category for Helles.

I agree. It only makes sense given the proliferation of boozed up hazebombs… probably more of those exist than most other styles on this site.

Dont know where to put it, but as I am going to Israel tomorrow I just scanned all breweries for NEIPAs and found the following two:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/joya-souriano-gorgeous-ipa/521067/

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alexander-mikkeller-holy-fruit/644454/

@DSG @kerenmk @tomer maybe you locals have some more insight and can aswell change the beers. Thanks!

I guess it’s going to take the Admins time to correct all the NEIPAs and Helles. There must be 100s if not 1000s of beers ro amend. Only three of my eight Dortmunders are not Helles.

1 Like

I know thats why I started to help. I already checked almost every German brewery for NEIPAs.

don’t do it. There is no real difference, hence why bother with classifying? (also, the ones that are classified are mostly classified wrongly, if you assume there is a difference between the two styles)

2 Likes

What is the supposed difference between these “two” styles? The only thing I can make out is the different regional origins.

So are these style changes finalised or what? I am still seeing the old style list on the add beer page so I’ve purposely had to add a couple of NEIPAs under the wrong IPA style creating more work for admins.

Hurry up and roll it out sitewide please. @joet @tjbiddle

I’m looking at my rated IPAs right now and see some literally have “New England IPA” in their name. Should I produce a list of every wrongly classified NEIPA I’ve rated and post it here for an admin to change? Or should I just spam send corrections to give you guys a nice backlog? What’s the best way to go about this? I don’t know how many will be in my list, could be a dozen, could be hundreds.

3 Likes

It’s exactly the same for Helles. Most are down as Dortmunders. If they don’t dow the sensible thing and revert the style back to how it was.

Also if you’re going to have NEIPA, then surely need Imperial and Session versions. Although granted it’s never been done for Black IPA.

3 Likes