PLACE MAP Feedback / bug updates

Glad that arrived safely! (The postal workers here cringe when I show up in line due to the lengthy processing of customs forms each article requires.) For those that have not yet received a shirt, we are working on it!

1 Like

Apologies for not replying to this thread sooner!

Thank you for helping make that distinction.
Weā€™ll look into creating an icon for brewpubs; as suggested by Viper, is a Pint glass the best fit for this?

Could you guys also share with us your sentiments on the colour coding (why it was important to you and how it improved your experience with maps).

We are being a little cautious with colours as we test out the new map service (OpenStreetMaps). Itā€™s already super noisy and colourful; so trying to avoid it having look like confetti with the map markers. We have not ruled it out completely, just exploring if there might be a better solution.

3 Likes

I usually look for brewpubs and beer stores. It saves a lot of time to be able to pick those out using color codes.

1 Like

As long as you use dark colors, it won,t look like confettis. If you donā€™t use different colors, at first sight, even with different icons, they all look like the same. Fact is, it would be easier if you simply use the same colors as before for each types since other pages (like the city pages) still use that color code (maybe a different tone of green for different kinds of stores and a different tone or red for the Brewpup / Breweries)

At the same time could you reduce the size of the icons as well as the size of the side panel entries so we can see more like the old one without have to scroll too much.

@aww

2 Likes

I usually look for breweries and brewpubs when using the map, the red color in the old map made it easy to see if there were any close by.

1 Like

Different icons are fine, but the colour coding for different types of places stand out better and easier to spot at first glance.

Good luck with the trials and eventual roll out @aww.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

When you click on an item on the side panel, it should not only center the place in the map, it should also highlight it on the map. This is important when thereā€™s many places nearby the clicked place.
@aww

1 Like

I also think that color coding is more useful than using different icons. When Iā€™m on a beer run, I try to plan my route around breweries and brewpubs where there is a higher possibility of having flights, thereby scoring more. So I look for an area where a specific color is more or less grouped.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback.

We have addressed the most urgent issues:

• Clicking the card will now take you to the place page
  • Clicking a place from the side bar, the card will now stay open when you mouse over the map
  • Scores are now shown correctly (fixing the -1 star issue)

Next steps:

• Assess if colour differentiation is helpful, or if filtering by place type is easy enough to use. This was raised a few times, so we will be looking at this one with the highest priority

We plan to release the maps early next week, there were definitely a few more issues we want to improve, but with all major bugs fixed, we decided that having a usable map will be a much better user experience than a greyed out map.

4 Likes

If it makes any difference here is another vote for coloured markers. Makes using maps way easier.

Also filtering by place type and rated/unrated by user should be implemented as well. These are basic functions for planning beer trips.

5 Likes

Another vote in favor of the colour differentiation.

5 Likes

definitely the color differentiation is useful

5 Likes

super fantastic that maps are coming back, good work! :+1:
filtering by place type is easy to use.
i also vote for colors. much easier to scan for quickly than the graphics inside the dots.
it would be cool if a placeā€™s rating could be reflected in its color, so the best places could ā€œshine the brightestā€, but maybe easier said than done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly this. Iā€™m surprised that thereā€™s even a debate going on about this.

7 Likes

Ditto. I guess someoneā€™s bothered with the colors messing with the uniformity of design, but in this case, itā€™s extremely obvious to all (actual) users from practice that different colors are simply a must to set places apart when exploring the map, especially in crowded areas.

3 Likes

Rough design to show how colours could look on the map.

They are mapping with the previous colours; purple has been added for Brewpubs (along with a different icon).

11 Likes

Much better!

Iā€™d recommend same colors but slightly different icons for Brewery vs. Brewpub and Beer Store vs. Grocery Store vs. Homebrew Shop (if they share the same colors now).

3 Likes

Looks way better!
@aww
We could use different shades of green for stores.
In the City Place Pages, we already have a set of colors which will need to be changed there because if they are if they are completely different there (like for a purple brewpub for example), this will be an unnecessary source of confusion.

World map link in the global Place page isnā€™t working CORRECTED
https://www.ratebeer.com/places/browse/

Map tab in any specific Place page isnā€™t working.

The only way right now to access the map is through the City Place page Map tab.

@aww

Iā€™m not sure why this map disappeared. And those links to maps as an issue has been raised. We are working on it.

Great to see the responsive action from the dev team. This is a quality update.

3 Likes