New RateBeer Investment

i wouldnt be overly bothered if rate beer had improved since the intial investment.
But im stiull waiting for an app that comes close to Erics, and Still loath the unpredicable search

17 Likes

I’m an IT guy and, some time ago, I’ve written a code to migrate my beer reviews from BeerAdvocate to Ratebeer. I guess that, with a small investment, I can create something that does the opposite :wink:

20 Likes

When was this actually completed? I need to know which month pays out in our betting pool.

14 Likes

Love the post super bowl drop :joy:

3 Likes

Guys I just won my “First Emoji” badge. Not sure why y’all are so critical of the new website features…

16 Likes

Untappd would likely be more popular

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

Inevitable. Even with the initial investment, there was never a fully formed plan to turn the place around. Just a new coat of paint, empty promises, and a laughable idea that things were getting better

15 Likes

@joet Speaking theoretically - could AbInbev shut this place down if they wanted to?

4 Likes

That’s the next betting pool payout milestone.

Sadly, the logistics of dispensing news and payment to the winner may need to be reconsidered.

Something-something ponderous about a tree falling in the woods with nobody around to hear it.

9 Likes

It would be horrible to see RB shut down!!! But on one side, I would probably cut way back on drinking and giving a shit about beer. I would hope Joe was smart enough to add some sort of deal that would not happen??

3 Likes

They will not shut it down, for sure. Beer geeks (or enthusiasts, if you prefer) are exactly what they are looking for to understand better the craft beer world. That’s the information that they are looking for at Ratebeer. It makes a lot of sense and I don’t understand why the’ve took so much time to do it. With the information found here, they will be able to follow up which are the market tendencies since it’s clear that craft beer is/will become a big slice of the market.
In a nutshell: business :wink:

3 Likes

Yes of course and nothing Joet says can disprove this fact because he doesn’t own the site and he doesn’t make the decisions.

8 Likes

In fairness, the acquisition contract could give him certain consent rights over certain decisions. Obviously, the contract is confidential (as all M&A contracts are), so we cannot know unless there was a specifically negotiated carveout in the contract with respect to publicizing that aspect of the transaction. If I were negotiating the contract, I would have tried to have as many of such rights as possible.

4 Likes

I feel so sorry for the hard working Admins who are going to be brushed aside like yesterday’s laundry.

30 Likes

Yep, that was my line of thinking.

2 Likes

Possible yes but not for an infinite period and since both parties cannot be trusted to tell the truth one cannot know.

3 Likes

Finally my ratings are fully owned by one of the big players. So glad for all the unpaid work of the past few years.

18 Likes

RB officially in the Facebook model of tech. Get your data and sell it. (Bringing full circle the plans I mentioned at the initial acquisition)

5 Likes

Incredibly stupid move if you want a credible beer ratings website.

15 Likes