New RateBeer Investment

Wow

9 Likes

Perhaps I should have used the adjective self-proclaimed.

Edit: Discobot = Cassandra :exploding_head:

2 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

The German version of that website specifies that the term “personal data” is to be interpreted as widely as possible to mean “any data that can in any thinkable way be related to a username or a person”. It explicitly states that answers a student gives in an exam are also personal data under GDPO. Another sentence says that not just objective data, but also subjective data such as opinion, ratings or assessments can be personal data.

Also, do not forget that although GDPO is a regulation, not a directive, almost everyone of the 28 EU countries changed their own data protection laws to be compatible with it. In some cases, these laws might be further reaching than the GDPO.

But then again, I am not a lawyer. But judging from what I read in legal journals in the past year (yeah I’m one of those people who read legal journals for fun), lawyers are not 100% sure about the implications either (they are sure about some things, such as that political opinions are especially protected under GDPR, and that it technically is illegal for news media to state that Jean-Claude Juncker is a member of the conservative party in Luxemburg without his explicit consent).

3 Likes

There is also another admin thread, in total hundreds of posts that i won’t read again, but what I remember is that people are not bitter at Joe.
“Nobody” blames him for selling.

For this I refer everybody to Craig’s poll.
If we open the bets, I voted for “Rb will thrive”.

She was right just once, isn’t it?

1 Like

No, she was believed just once.

1 Like

Complying with the GDPO is apparently quite hard work, because of the depth and bredth of what it covers. All reviews, all checkins, all messages, all feedback, all forum posts, old and new, all everything, basically, that is stored and associated with you.

It really, really makes sense for @joet to make “download all my ratings” a feature for everyone, as that will be a hundred times less painful than having to handle even one correctly performed GDPO request.

Obviously, I ANAL.

8 Likes

This is how it appears to me now

2 Likes

Yeah, we just found out that behind @cgarvieuk there was no human being, but a cosmic alien creature, the kind that grows in your chest and then gets out with a screech. So we suspended all his activities.

Also, he’s 3 squirrels and a trenchcoat.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I’ve just checked and there’s no way of parsing the HTML page to retrieve data. The guys have done a good protection job. I agree that we should be allowed to have the option of download our ratings. But I do not believe that’s gonna happen

1 Like

Most users of this site don’t even use the forums, so beer and place ratings will hardly be effected. I am staying.

<*))))))><

4 Likes

Really really sad news. Since the last two years this site has become worse and worse and worse. Terrible forum (I really tried to get used to it), watchlist disappeared, wants/haves on beer page disappeared, completely useless new features released… Time to looks for other options.

3 Likes

Well, you could also view it contrary to that: Investing a career, time and money, just to let this whole project lose its credibility at once, because it is taken over by the biggest “enemy” of what this site is about.

I agree that the majority propably would have done the same and I also don’t “blame” JoeT. But still, money isn’t the only thing that matters and everyone has a choice.

4 Likes

I was just about to write what Blackhaddock said. The comments so far are from a very small amount of users. It oftem amazes me when i rate a beer from a far flung country and see raters ive never noticed with over 10k ratings, none of whom post in forums and many who dont know or care about the ABinbev ownership.

As long as they carry on, so will i. As far as ABInbev’s mysterious intentions we’ll wait and see. All ill say is when Untappd had their huge investment, they were very transparent about their plans, changes were quick & the app improved greatly. We’ve had no such assurance here.

** :wave: waves to the ABInbev / ZX management hilariously scrolling through this thread **

11 Likes

Totally that. I hope @joet has made a killing.
If his plan was to get out, this was probably his best shot at it.

I hope it goes from strenght to strength. Ratebeer has brougth me so much
as i said 18 months ago

But ive found it a struggle to use, the slow loss of usefullness of Erics app with no reasonable replacement has really reduced my enjoyment of the site

2 Likes

Yeah, that is definitely not how things work. This is why lots of news websites based in the US have simply blocked visitors entirely from the EU in the meantime; either they don’t give a shit about anyone’s privacy or they’re too lazy to actually implement the data portability section of the regulations.

Either way, downloading our own data should always be free.

5 Likes

As someone who is no longer premium and copies ratings one at a time to a .csv file I should point out that it is free, just inconvenient.

2 Likes

Yes, but RateBeer doesn’t use corn syrup…

2 Likes