New search

And, on another “beer search works differently to brewer search” issue, full stops seem to screw up the brewer search. So, if I search on “J.W.Lees” I get plenty of results for beers but no results for brewers. If typing the search exactly as the name appears on RateBeer doesn’t work for brewers that seems a pretty major issue to me.

4 Likes

FFS. I haven’t turned my phone off and I still find I’ve been logged out.

1 Like

What handle you using on Untappd?
Get ready for a friend request. :wink:

2 Likes

Up until now, I have found every beer I wanted to rate. It is incredibly slow however. It takes almost a minute for the results to load. Do others have the same?

2 Likes

Not a minute but yeah, it’s slow

1 Like

Thats totally what you should be going for when making improvements.

4 Likes

Yesterday @ benzai for him the search was quite slow, for me it wasn’t at all. He was on wifi, I used 4g.

Not sure the problem was his wifi or the Ratebeer code.

The obvious question. Is Benzai just generally… a bit slow?

1 Like

Although making the search smarter towards spelling mistakes and mistyping seems useful, I’m not sure it’s actually as helpful as it might appear because it’s not “beer smart”.

As an example I searched for a beer called Dunkel Lunch (or so I thought). It wasn’t found. I got 20 results, most of which included Donkey Punch in the name. I also got Drunken Punch, Mother Bunch, Junker Punch and even Sunken City Punch You In The Eye. What I didn’t get was ANY results with Dunkel in the name. I guess the search system just doesn’t have beer-specific (and, maybe, non-English?) terms in its lexicon. Turns out the beer was actually called Dunkelunch but the “smart” search wasn’t much help in finding it.

3 Likes

Just like when the site changed from blue to white and all this crazy stuff slowly started happening, I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me. Over the last week, I have come to find that the new search is alright and I want to assume it will continue to improve with fixes and whatnot. Quite simply, at this point, the biggest thing still needed is the ability to see in the search list if I have already rated something.

Did you change font size or somebody fcked up search box borders? It wasn’t there yesterday, but is today.

Second thing. Search lists retired places (without any indication that they are retired), but cant find normal open places. Examples: searching for “õllepood” finds me:

Ones marked with yellow are Not in business anymore: https://www.ratebeer.com/p/väike-õllepood/46832/ and https://www.ratebeer.com/p/craft-õllepood/39177/

But the operational one it can’t find: https://www.ratebeer.com/p/ollepood-nr3-gambrinus-beershop-no3-gambrinus-viljandi/61987/

Also new search does not indicate in any way when beer is alias. For example:

This is an alias, how would I know. To me it’s a beer with no ratings. (Some aliased beers have pictures so no pic will not help).

Please fix.

Yes, splitting or joining words in beer name is a problem. One more thing for this example -
“Dunkel unch” actually works. I guess double l confuses the search. Same thing happens on Untappd.

Even more interesting “Vibr Dunk” works here, but not on Untappd.

1 Like

Pretty funny that you constantly come up with “hey it works if you search for this” as some sort of argument that the search does actually work fine. When I did the same about the old search with just one example (search for stone India instead of stone ipa) everybody went crazy.

1 Like

Very.

2 Likes

Well I’m trying to figure out how the search works and compare it to other solutions/competition. I use your examples since I don’t encounter such problems.

I’m not saying search works perfectly. There is a number of issues which should be fixed.

Stone India returns the correct entry, 4th beer on the list. Is there a problem with that?

Unfortunately brewers are rather prone to splitting, joining and otherwise departing from general usage & spelling when naming beers! At the moment it seems rather tough to determine what works in searches and what doesn’t. I’m sure hardcore regular users will get used to dealing with whatever quirks can’t be ironed out in the fullness of time. Whether the same can be said for the more casual visitors that Joe seems very focussed on these days is more doubtful.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure how Untappd factors in brewer name into its search seeing as how the brewer is not included in the beer name there.

No, my point is that the old search worked perfectly of you knew how to use it properly. When I said that I was always verbally beaten with the Stone IPA example, even though that was easy to find if you’d only use the search in a clever way. Now this new search doesn’t work properly for a lot of users, but the argument given by fans is that “it works perfect, if you know how to use it”. So I still don’t see how this search is better than the old.

A lot of problems mentioned in this thread can be easily fixed by slightly adjusting the way you use the search. Frankly I don’t see how is it worse than the old one. Looking some respinses here one could make a conclusion search is not working at all.

I’d like to see special characters search fixed. Also search on front page and search page should work the same way, same thing for search for beers/breweries/places.

2 Likes

And this is the point i tried to make when it first appeared on the New APP.

The old Search was totally predictable, and left the USER in control of the Search, This search trys to 2nd guess the user and uses an algorithm that is much harder to predict and work with

I i type Dunkel i dont want any results for Drunken, or Donkey or any such. If i wanted Drunken i would have typed Drunken.

Hell my spelling is as bad as i comes. But ifs going to actively ignore correct spelling it clearly massively flawed.

2 Likes