New search

@discobot fortune

Do you think you can fix these bugs faster than the humans ru(i)ning this site?

:crystal_ball: Most likely

4 Likes

I think that the search function was not implemented within Ratebeer, but we “bought” a different platform (like the new forum).
If you search “pig & porter” from a Ratebeer page, the & is properly managed, the string is properly passed to the search and you get the desired results.

But if you are on the search page itself (in other words you are properly not on Ratebeer), then it behaves like you are saying.

1 Like

Yeah, search for a beer on the proper Ratebeer site until it gets resolved on the community site. You’re here to yack, eh?

Please, lets keep this topic free of off-topic talk. We have hundreds of topics to troll and go off-topic. This thread is one of the actual very useful ones, where people have given lots of valuable feedback to @services and @joet about the new search. Please

4 Likes

So are we saying that it is best not to come to the forums section in that way you will remain logged in to the search section?
To tell the truth I’m happy with that as I hardly use forums since the change but I do have a daily scout through, which I can drop.

Not for brewers or places.

1 Like

And now it has failed again, I find myself logged out of the search “log in” while remaining logged into the other two “parts” of the site.

I get this URL and a pinwheel when I try to log in from the search page: https://www.ratebeer.com/phoenix-callback?error=access_denied&error_description=Unknown%20or%20invalid%20login%20ticket.&state=kYawDI3n0Y-XsHDMto_AVohT-R4A.h4C

Again, it corrects when I go back to the front page, log out, and log in again. That is not how things should operate, and it apparently does not work for long.

For fuck’s sake, this search blows. Cut your losses and go back to the original while you figure this thing out in beta rather than on the live main site in public. Right now it’s a shitty joke.

4 Likes

Careful now, they may remove this post and call it off topic.

New search is awful.

3 Likes

so I thought I had understood how the new search works:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gruthaus-münsterländer-hanf/479801/

This beer is called “Gruthaus Münsterländer Hanf”

so I looked for “Münster Hanf” - the start of the words is what is important, right? - no results

okay, let’s look for the brewer as well, so: “Grut Münster Hanf” - no results

“Grut Hanf” then finally found the beer.

Not predictable at all, despite some claims to the contrary in this thread.

5 Likes

Muns Ha works though. The problem with your search is the sitewide special characters issues rather than anything with the search. Remove the umlauts and it works as predicted.

I thought so too, but that’s not it - “Gruthaus Münsterländer” works again as well…

Picked up from a reported bug

Search for
to Ol 1 ton of Lingonberries
when clicking the search results you’ll get
"The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

If going through the To Ol brewery page can click and rate beer OK.

I would guess it is the " … " in the name that might do something with search?

1 Like

Thanks for the report - we’ll get this fixed

Can you please just fix the non-English letters issue instead? It’s been broken for years, not a few days.

1 Like

I haven’t had a search facility available to me all day. I’ve had to Google beers. This is via iPhone.

3 Likes

It seems that, for Places, there’s very little margin for error, if any. If you’re searching for Mikkeller Bar Berlin you have to type just that. Mikkeller Berlin, or even Mikkeller Ba Berlin, just won’t do.

2 Likes

And still no search facility. Is that just me?

Hasn’t worked on my old phone for weeks.
Like you, I just use google now.
The fail is strong in this one.

2 Likes