New search

When I click on an aliased beer, found from the new search, it always takes me to Anchor Wheat Beer…

1 Like

it’s not just an old habits die hard thing. Partial search using random substrings was the best thing in the history of ratebeer.

To be fair, though, you can still search for substrings, but sth like the first 4 letters need to be correct - or what was the number?

That can be tricky in exotic countries where you often don’t know the brewery name or if the brewery name is included in the name.

1 Like

Just one missing letter made it come up with a complete blank in just about every search. There was no previous rating information on my searches. Anything outside of the Roman alphabet completely flummoxed it.
All these problems were there before this went site wide and non of them have been fixed.
Searching for anything other than beer is a complete pain as it comes up on another page, which if the search has failed you don’t know until you finally open the page, the site is running slowly so this took too much time.

The new search is definitely an improvement over the previous version (and is resulting in a really comical interrogation of some people’s search habits). That said, there is a batshit insane amount of white space in the search results, both in between all of the results as well as at the very start of the list of results itself. There is no reason for only four search results to appear on a 13" screen. I don’t mind having the photos at all (I prefer it, actually), but there’s way too much padding between search results.

I also think it would be better to have the ‘sort by’ options be placed side-by-side at the top of the search results instead of being a drop-down menu on the side column.

1 Like

How come, if I click on a beer that I’ve searched, I get redirected not to the beer page, but to the beer reference page? It doesn’t happen to all beers that come up in the search, but those that do get redirected become very hard to rate all of a sudden. Not sure if it’s all visible to you, but in the url I see the beer name I’ve clicked on, but I get a totally different page. @joet?

There is an issue where you type the search into some search boxes, i.e. the search box on the Community page, the search is completely ignored so you have to type it all in again on the search page it takes you to.

Happy to be able to find XT beers (without entering animal oink and going to the brewery page! - UK raters will know what I mean) and Kernel Pales show up better.

Yet to encounter a problem but only had a quick play last night.

Although this beer was merely an example (as I can easily find it, know how to spell it etcetc). Why would I search that way:

1. Laziness: I want to type as minimal characters possible to find the beer
  2. Speed: I want to type the minimum amount of characters to find the beer and quickly start rating
  3. Possible unreadable label / chalkboard: if I can’t figure out what the name of the beer / brewer is I want to search with partial words / letters to find anyway
  4. Unreadable label because of a foreign language

The fact that you ask “why would you search that way” immediately answers my question to you “why in gods name can’t you find stone IPA”. How can you not search for stone india if stone IPA doesn’t get you to the beer? Or “tone Indi” for that matter, as that will probably do the trick as well.

“Be smart and search smart. You know how the search works now, so go and try to use it.” Well yeah, there’s no way around it is there? But smart searching is what I -and lots of other users with me- already did. And with that they easily found Stone IPA and all other beers.

I agree with you and a couple of others in this thread like @SinH4 that users will get used to it over time. Probably even I will. But that’s not the point. Point is that it’s not an improvement (not yet anyway) and therefore incredibly annoying, as it is change #853 that has not improved the site. I have been positive for a long time but I am getting more and more doubtful whether we are actually going somewhere other than into the abyss.

1 Like

If it’s for one of those two reasons then you type “Van Doe” and it’s the first result. “oll erak” is indeed a weird search term.

If I leave aside the point that this “old/new” layout for search is utter bollocks I hope things get better.

Please add functionality “My not rated” here:

2 Likes

As I had already explained…

Don’t know if already mentioned, but when I click on my mouse wheel in the new search to open the link in another tab it directly directs me to the page and does not open a new tab. Thats annoying.

1 Like

Agree.

Thumbnail images don’t add much, if anything, to a search results page and just slow down loading. Infinite scroll pages can be really crippled by images if you need to scroll down a long way - see Untappd for a clear example of that.

2 Likes

Better, but the ABV is still missing from that. Thanks for bringing that page to my attention, as the old old search box (on old old pages that I have as my bookmarks as they were the most relevant starting place for me) just gives me a completely blank page now.

When I’m searching for a Põhjala beer, I always search for “hjala”, as historically there are some beers which only show up if you search for “Põhjala” and others that only show up if you search for “Pohjala” (fortunately most show up for both searches nowadays). Searching for the end of words should never be considered too weird to support correctly.

2 Likes

Sadly it think the Search is much more geared to Typing the FULL thing, and it will correct mistakes for you, but really it expects you to type more, than the previous search expected

Alpha sort option please JoeT. I really dislike the thumbnails on the returned list, unnecessary clutter that doesn’t enhance anything in my opinion, but the lack of alpha sort order is driving me bonkers and it’s not far to drive in my case! Cheers!

4 Likes

I’m having trouble logging in from laptop. Using Chrome and can’t seem to log in on search function but am on the main site as proven by messaging on here.

I’ve logged in on phone and now have been able to log in on laptop.

Is it just me or a bug? It seems a little odd

1 Like

Apparently you have to type in whole “Hölökynk” in Hölökynkölökyn 'cause “Hölökyn” is still offering Hook Norton beers. Such similarity.

3 Likes

Update on this:

When i search for some beer, i get a list of results, but it is not possible to right click each one and open each beer in a new tab.

1 Like