New Style Kombucha?

I don’t know if it’s only a local thing in Quebec, Canada but the brewers here often brew Kombucha too… and we cannot add them to the site… We have meads, ciders and sakes but no kombucha… maybe it’s time to add the style?

Disgaree. It’s tea. We allow kombucha we need to allow Earl Grey. Who’s gonna be the #1 rater of Snapple?

2 Likes

I love Kombucha, but it’s literally tea with added sugar, fermented to have a very LOW ABV.

Sake on the other hand undergoes a mashing process.

I don’t think that’s in the spirit of our page.

This will open the door to allowing kimchi, cheese and sauerkraut.

1 Like

I make a mean Kefir. And damn would I love RateCheese.com. But imagine the price hikes for locals.

1 Like

So honey which is mostly fructose sugar is an allowable brewable, but sucrose sugar is not an allowable brewable? Beer and sake have a mashing process, but meade? Shouldn’t we just say mead is a traditional/ancient process that gets an exception to the mashing requirement? And that kombucha may become allowed in a millenium or so?

1 Like

Kombucha is pretty ancient too… just hippes learned about it ten years ago or so.

Commercially bottled kombucha became available in the late 1990s.[40] In 2010, elevated alcohol levels were found in many bottled kombucha products, leading retailers including Whole Foods to temporarily pull the drinks from store shelves.

Commercial mead has been around about as long as ale? Seems so. There was a problem:

" taxation and regulations governing the ingredients of alcoholic beverages led to commercial mead becoming a more obscure beverage until recently."

I know nothing about Meads, so a clarification would actually be helpful. Is it because there’s primary & secondary fermentation?

Ciders and Meads are on here because they have a large overlap in target group with beer and dedicated pages for rating mead or cider don’t exist yet.

Wine is NOT on here because they already have their established rating system and pages and community.

However, we don’t allow alcohol-free cider or alcohol-free mead, just like we don’t allow alcohol-free Radlers (two steps away from beer, though interestingly, we do allow Apfelweinschorle).

And Kombucha is pretty low in ABV because the fermentation is targetet in such a way that most of the alcohol the yeasts produce is made to acetic acid by the other bacteria.

2 Likes

The argument for including cider originally (or at least my understanding) was based on it being beer and pub adjacent as opposed to fermentedness. I don’t actually recall what the rationale was for adding mead / sake.

I think cider/perry remains fair because it’s crushed/juiced originating juices which are fermented. Sake has the idea that rice is just a grain variation from barley/wheat/…

Meade sucks by those standards, but differs from kombucha in that the sugars that are fermented are essentially not processed by man.

Now when the kombucha “brewers” start using unprocessed sugar cane crushing juice, we might have to buy into the ones who do that to pair with the mead.

I think it’s a bit odd/surprising that the kombucha “yea it’s good natural stuff” freaks put up with processed sugar when honey “yea it’s good natural stuff” is available.

Kvass

2 Likes

The fermenting Facebook group I am part of would disagree. It HAS to be an unprocessed sugar, and it HAS to be filtered water not straight from the tap, and the tea HAS to be organic. Otherwise you’ll have a stressed scoby slowly poisoned to death by fluoride and I’ve no idea why the tea has to be that way.

That’s hilarious saying it has to be unprocessed sugar, filtered water from the tap, organic tea…microbes aren’t that fussy

It’s a religion sort of thing.

Not many choices:

“Unprocessed sugar is made from evaporated cane juice.” Which might take us back to the meade/honey thing.

“Other Unprocessed Sugars
Date sugar comes from dehydrated dates that are pulverized into a sugar. Dates are a minor source of B vitamins, vitamin K, and the minerals calcium, potassium, copper, manganese and magnesium. Coconut palm sugar is another unprocessed option harvested from the sap of palm trees.”

“Sugar labeled as “raw” in the U.S. has been purified to remove any potential contaminants and is thus still processed. Brown sugar is simply white sugar with some molasses added back in, so it too is processed. Demerara sugar and turbinado sugar are other raw sugars that might have undergone steam-cleaning before packaging. These sugars are close to being unprocessed, but are not as pure as raw cane syrup.”

And there’s the possibility of bee spit!

I never said they were consistent or correct.

1 Like

Don’t think about the grains vs. juice vs. honey source of sugars.
Without much rationale, it has been “fermented alcoholic beverage but wine”.
Now, this doesn’t mean that the doors are open for every new beverage.

Anyway, all the kombucha I see around here are NA.
How are the commercial kombucha in your area? NA or alcoholic?

Honey inhibits a lot of microbial growth.
A SCOBY that has “learned” to work with honey creates a “Jun”. Jun is sort of the lambic of the kombucha world.
Kombucha that has a beer-like ABV utilize a champagne yeast.
The wild yeast tones are quite similar at times to sour beer, and kombucha is certainly exploring similar flavor profiles. People at beer fests often tell me that we had the best beer of the day. We are already on Untappd…
…still not a beer…but the collabs are increasing …