New style list poll - cider, mead, fruit wine & other fermented beverages

Not as a style tho, local labelling regulations, there are different cider % abv bands in UK for duties also. Doesn’t define a style itself for ciders, so is then just an arbitrary split.

Yes I know it is an arbitrary split!
What would you suggest as split then? Still vs Sparkling? Regional methods (don’t know if it is doable)?

Or only regular vs flavoured vs fruited ?

Cider, Cider - Flavoured, Cider - Fruited is all I support splitting out at the moment.

1 Like

I’m with this maybe throw in hopped as well.

I could not seem to find a cider - hopped tag, how many of them are there? Hopped ciders could be included in Cider - Flavored.

I know I’ve had quite a few not sure if that’s a tag or not. The website seems not to be working so can’t check my ratings for examples at moment

Hopped ciders were to be included in Flavoured. For mead, Hopped is separated from Flavoured just because they use a specific style name for it.

To me hops are different than flavors even though they contribute very much to them. But I don’t particularly care. I do have a T-shirt that says Hop Head though so there is that.

1 Like

#hopped-cider Seems to be an error loading pages to see number with that tag, but search for ‘hopped cider’ gives 154 results, so there are afew

I wouldn’t follow too much the tag numbers, not to many users who take the time to tag things…it could be easily 10x that number and we wouldn’t know

Can understand that rationale that hopped cider is then included in flavoured cider, but on that criteria shouldn’t cyser (cider with honey) then be a separate style, as there is already a specific style name for it.

Isn’t Cyser a Mead with apple? so an Apple Melomel (fruited mead)?

Actually, seems that Cyser and Pygment are just the specific names for apple and grape melomels

1 Like

There’s almost as many names as there’s fruits/spices in mead’s world :slight_smile:

Don’t forget Morat.