New style list poll - new dark beer styles

Inspired by the discussion about a new style list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HqTu-FkP1rbdONm_cOT1lpJhXOUYNPcbV8IF2QcrST4/edit input is needed on topics.

The prevalence of big sweet lactose filled stouts over traditional styles means we need to rethink our stout categories. Here are the suggestions.

Oatmeal stout as its own style. According to the description here oatmeal stouts should be under sweet stout, but of the almost 2,000 tagged here there’s pretty much a 50/50 split between stout and sweet stout. Sweet stout has also become its whole thing. The new proposal calls for sweet stout to be more specifically for milk stouts so what to do with oatmeal stouts?

• Add oatmeal stout
  • Add oatmeal stout and imperial oatmeal stout
  • Leave in sweet stout (now called Stout - Milk / Sweet)
  • Move to regular stout

0 voters

Add Flavoured Porter and Stout. For all these dark beers with stuff added.

• Yes to both
  • Yes but combine them
  • No

0 voters

Add Flavoured Imperial Porter and Stout. Essentially this will cover so-called Pastry Stouts. Name is of course negotiable. Idea is for somewhere to put adjunct laden imp stouts so that regular imp stouts can be found for those who like them.

• Yes to both
  • Yes but combine them
  • No

0 voters

Belgian stout

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Smoked porter and stout

• Yes to both
  • Yes but combine them
  • No

0 voters

Imperial smoked porter and stout

• Yes to both
  • Yes but combine them
  • No

0 voters

Imperial milk / sweet stout

• Yes to both
  • Yes but include in that pastry stout style
  • No

0 voters

India porter / stout

• Yes
  • Yes but combine them
  • No

0 voters

India Porter is a style that seems to becoming quite prevalent.

Is that not just another name for Black IPA?

Not sure. They get put under Porter.

OK, I’ll add it to the poll list.

1 Like

or black IPA … depends how hoppy they taste

Cheers for all the polls!

1 Like

Yeah @explosivedog is doing an awesome job.

Should really have secondary polls on some of these. I.e. where the combined Yes votes exceed the No votes. A second poll to choose between the two Yes options.

…or use a single transferrable vote voting system? :grinning:

I have been always annoyed by the fact that a lot of “sweet stouts” are not sweet at all.

1 Like

I’m just seeing this now but seems like the only new style everyone agrees on is Oatmeal Stout. They often don’t taste sweet and are often there. And pretty common.

By the way did any of these new style discussions ever get anywhere?

How come so many of you are against an Imperial Milk/Sweet Stout style?

At the moment, imperial strength sweet stouts are split between the Sweet Stout style and the Imperial Stout style, nobody ever knows where to add them. I’m not understanding why this is desirable against having a dedicated style to hold them.

1 Like

Ya, I’d much rather know when a so-called sweet stout is just a lighter but dry oatmeal stout or when it’s a pecan pie maple syrup with oreo cookie 14% stout from the get go.

A dry oatmeal stout should never have been added as a sweet stout in the first place, so there should be no confusion there.

I feel like an hierarchy and explanation of styles page should totally exist. Like choose your own adventure. If we had one at RB, it might help people in the beginning.

Something like “does the beer say stout, IPA, etc etc?” if so go to that style, regardless if it has fruit, herbs or spices.

Is it 8% or above? If so go to DIPA. Is it black? if so, go to Black IPA.

Then again I strongly feel that random styles which are just catch alls like fruit beer or specialty grain should always defer to whatever else it is first, and just to fruit beer or specialty grain as a last resort.

Then again I never put sour IPAs in the IPA category as sour seems a stronger sense of what it is than IPA.