RateBeer Forums

New Styles - UK Perspective

Well yes but I think in general they’re fine.
GK is one of those which I now understand is technically wrong but can see how it would be confusing if it were classified as a Bitter when most people drinking it (who most likely aren’t as into beer as people like us) are seeing it very clearly labeled as an IPA by the brewery - who are obviously correct and would never mislabel their own beer :roll_eyes:

For what it’s worth it’s been changed on UT a shitload of times back and forth in the past, it got locked for edits in the end.

Well, yes there is the “cider - perry” category on untappd, I suppose that goes into the confused category?

Ugh… yeah. It’s dumb I know. Originally it was just “Perry” like it should be, but people kept adding them as ciders because they were too lazy to scroll down to see if Perry existed, which it always did. Therefore the decision was taken to rename to Cider - Perry so it would be seen more easily by people who struggle with the alphabet…

I’m away at present with only limited wifi access so I will compose a fuller reply when I am back up and running. However as a UK group it is good that we should discuss how the new styles will fit in with us.
Personally I would like to keep the IPA - English style fairly restricted. UK sourced hops, yeasts and malts aimed at a traditional IPA, so the ABV’s would be important to this. But that is just me.
We still habe Golden / Blonde as a category where a huge amount of our blandish beers can go, there is also the new Pale Ale which can be a catch all where we don’t know too much about the beer but it is obviously different to Golden.
With this new glut of styles, maybe we can start to do something with Pale Ale English perhaps, but keep it fairly exclusive.
I’m open to all suggestions.

I think of White Shield when I think of ‘English style’ IPA.

Which has now been updated to that style. Had it about 4 years ago. Will have to pick up a bottle again.

But so has Harvey’s 3.2% IPA…

As a follow up discussion to the English IPA style just for shits and giggles. What do people think about modern hop-forward IPAs/Pale Ales which are akin to a NEIPA but using all English ingredients? Would we ever want to include these in the IPA - English / Pale Ale - English categories or absolutely not and just keep for traditional ones only?

An example: Mobberley Charles Faram Roll With It.
They dubbed it a “New English IPA” as it was in the NEIPA style but exclusively used UK hops and malts. Looks like they didn’t disclose the yeast used - I suppose it could have been an American strain, but for the sake of this discussion let’s assume it was English.

So this fits the bill of being an IPA and exclusively using English ingredients, therefore an “IPA - English”. Of course, none of us would add it as such, would we? Because of the haze. It’s non-traditional. So it goes in the IPA - Hazy / NEIPA category instead. End of discussion? Or is there a case for actually using the English IPA category for non-traditional beers like this one too?

I think the options are open for any suggestions, hopefully we don’t have to stick to traditional style characteristics totally as we would be limiting ourselves a little unnecessarily maybe. If the Brewer has deliberately gone for UK ingredients then I am certainly not against including it personally, traditional or not, hazy or not, but I would like to get some consensus between us all as we go forward.

I see that Proper Job has now been reclassified as a Bitter, having gone from an ESB to IPA - English.

I have never chased styles, preferring Bitter as I am a traditional British beer drinker at heart.

However I will just add any new beer I find in whatever style it seems to fit into according to my senses and mood.

I am also surprised that with all the travelling I do that I have only 116 different styles in the new system, having had them all originally, didn’t realise I had missed so much, or maybe my total will increase as more beers get recatorised by the Admins?

<*))))))><

Remember most beers have not been updated yet as Joe is going to run them automatically so most Admins have stopped changing styles.

I was going for 10 of each style but won’t bother now. Especially as there’s some styles which seem pretty pointless/not particularly widespread.

I added a beer recently as a ‘pale ale’. Was surprised to see that as an option. Felt quite good to keep it simple. I cant remember the beer but it did come across as a simple lightly hopped pale ale. Not quite sure if many of these additional beer styles wouldve been added if Untappd didnt exist.

1 Like

Triple FFF describe their Hallelujah beer as a Pale Ale with New Zealand hops. But they clear things up by putting bitter on the pump clip.

Don’t really agree with Pale Ale as a separate style. Every beer that describes itself as a pale ale fits into another category

I proposed it be renamed to “Pale Ale - International/Other” to account for any pale ales that for one reason or another didn’t fit into any of the other Pale Ale styles. Examples were European-hopped beers that didn’t belong in American or Aus/NZ or English etc. but didn’t hear anything back so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Personally I think people have got too carried away. An APA is a style from the US. Just because it’s made with NZ or German hops doesn’t mean it’s not still an APA. Meanwhile Pale Ale English is a misunderstanding as opposed to a real style.

Even if you want to make a distinction between all the types of pale ales and IPAs, the American vs Aus/NZ is in my opinion the most ridiculous one. So the APA I brewed last year with only Nelson Sauvin, wasn’t an APA after all? It was a PA - Aus/NZ? And that black ipa with Vic Secret was not a… oh wait, that was a black ipa, there it doesn’t count. Come to think of it, where’s the IPA - Aus/NZ?

There really isn’t any difference in a pale ale brewed with American hops or Australian/NZ hops. Yes, the hops are different, but it’s not like all Australian hops give pineapple juice and all American hops give citrus. It’s just hops! The beer is the same (style) and with different hops it will taste different. I know it’s not ‘ratebeer’ making this up, but the substyle divisions are becoming awfully similar to (black)metal styles…

Ok, I’ll move on now.

1 Like

ISO Pale Ale - Blackgaze.

You can get very specific when describing loud fast music - thrash, crust, death, D-beat, grind, speed… until, that is, you have a band with death metal imagery playing a hybrid of crust-grind-metal then the ‘death metal’ pigeon hole becomes too simplistic.

There will always be lightly hopped pale ale with hints of grapefruit and citrus, and unless it is particularly flavoursome in a particular area (big spiky gooseberry & grape, or very prominent mango & apricot exotics, thats literally jumping out the glass) then that beer will always be a standard pale ale to me.

2 Likes

It’s a load of bollocks creating all these styles out of nothing. Your average punter doesn’t care about all this nonsense, and the chances of expanding the user numbers won’t be helped by introducing them. It just makes the site less user friendly and elitist. Yes you can argue that UT have all these styles (and more, probably), but have you seen the state of their site? Jesus…

2 Likes