Nicholson's pubs

Maybe I should refrain from posting while drinking. But fuck it.

Has anyone had the (mis)fortune to frequent these pubs post pandemic?

I’ve been to four Nicholson’s pubs in the last few weeks (one in London, 3 in Brum). Beer choice is, to put it mildly, still exceptionally reduced. They used to carry the odd interesting guest beer, or a bottle or two. Not any more.

Perhaps I should be sympathetic but all pubs in Leicester have increased beer choice to a reasonable level to what it was pre-COVID. Not everyone is 100% but close enough to see they are trying.

Tonight I’ve been to 3 Nicholson’s pubs without a single tick.

1 Like

Only been to one, Old Contemptibles in Birmingham, and the choice was gash - pre-pandemic I seem to recall you saw the odd tick there. Grrr

1 Like

I can only agree, I have been to both Oxford Nicholson’s pubs recently and walked out of both without lingering. We had noticed pre pandemic that they didn’t seem to be bothering that much, I hadn’t picked up anything of interest for a couple of years in either and I cannot recall the last time they had their Beer Festival, they seemed to lose interest at the same time as Wetherspoons did in theirs.

1 Like

Not been in one since 2019 so can’t comment really. I do like their pubs though, or at least I did back then! Sorry to hear they are not offering the same choice of beers they used too.

The Bacchus and Old Contemptibles in Brum being my two favourites, with a few in central London also visited when down that way.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

The Old Contemptibles was shocking.

Bacchus was a bit better - a few cans/bottles of things I might actually want like Maisels and Schöfferhofer Grapefruit. At any rate Nicholson’s pubs are like Sam Smith’s for me in that I often go for the atmosphere as opposed to the beer choice. When it’s a nice-looking pub like Bacchus I don’t mind pared-down beer choice so much. When there’s no atmosphere it’s just dull.

2 Likes

@jjsint, I like the Bacchus, it’s all so false, yet so unexpected. Taking people there for the first time is lovely, they are amazed by it’s decoration style and overall look. I’ve usually managed to find a new rate on every occasion I’ve visited too.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

Reading a football away day / pub blog today and the long and short of it is that Nicholson’s pubs - or at least some of them - seem to be pouring proper guest cask again, with Northern Monk and Brew York seen at Bacchus over the weekend. Very nice, will have to revisit and reassess.

1 Like

Cheers for that, we will take a look in the Oxford Nicholson’s now where we would have normally avoided them.