Other peoples Stats?

My mate @minutemat says no one else is ever interested in anyone’s Stats unless they are their own.

I agree mostly, but I like to see/find out how they got them and the weekly ‘County Stats’ has re-kindled that belief in me.

Please relate your thoughts on other peoples Stats and if they actually interest you.

<*))))))><

PS. I know this isn’t an important issue, but I just thought it might generate a few replies during our third ‘Lock In’.

1 Like

I disagree, I wouldn’t be following other raters if I didn’t care about stats and opinions. I religiously follow @FatPhil’s Top Raters of Regions in England, which intertwins with county ticking. Routinely I check to see where I am sitting on certain tags, Rater of Year and top 100 raters list. Lastly, I find it interesting to look at raters beer rating charts in comparison to mine…I hardly ever give 3.6 score so my rating distro is very weird compared to others.

1 Like

I sometimes check out others Stats (never stalking of course), but I rarely get excited about them, only my own.

Beer52 is an interesting sub-plot for me, I occasionally go back and re-visit a beer from them to see how many have had it. You might be surprised how many actually rate them, but don’t ever use the forums; lots of silent rating out there.

<*))))))><

I’m usually behind on drinking Beer52 it seems and notice double digits on some of their one offs. It surprises me how many people get box from them, special raters with loads more ticks than me.

1 Like

I like checking out other stats, especially among the UK group.

1 Like

I like all the stats but am less interested than I used to be.

It’s good to see folks in county top 50’s, with local victories, that aren’t up there in the 10K + raters etc.

The one stat I focus on most now, and have done primarily for a number of years, is the average score of beer that I’ve rated.

I’ve managed to nudge this up in since 2017 time from 3.38 to 3.44 … it’s harder than you think when you rate a lot of beers.

I make less of an effort to tick off counties with say under 100 ratings than I used too, as usually said counties present me with mediocre beer offerings, which is why they have got stuck where they are on my lists !

2 Likes

I do like looking a other people stats. Might be the stalker in me.

1 Like

This has made me double check I’m still in the top ten raters for Egypt and Indonesia. Luckily I am!

1 Like

Ah Jeremy.

I do like to read the County stats as it gives a bit of perspective on each region and a bit of a focus on the breweries, beers, places… I was more referencing numbers. It doesn’t bother me how many ticks anyone has, but the county stats are interesting.

1 Like

I’m mostly interest in my own stats of course but I do like the county lists for my local regions and seeing how other users have done and what beers they have tried.

I even occasionally check the style leader boards and yesterday after trying a Black IPA I wondered how @Theydon_Bois had tried so many to be top as I’ve not seen that many of these!

I was looking to post something on milestones about users who managed last year to achieve 1K of overall rates. This is because I noted some had done so after up to 15 years on the site which is some dedication even if they are not big raters. Problem was it was proving quite time consuming to list them and 90% didn’t seem to be registered to the forum so they wouldn’t have known about the post anyway. Its a little frustrating as there must be a way Ratebeer could encourage use of the forums.

1 Like

@dragnet101, I too think RateBeer should try and encourage members to use the forums. There are plenty of top raters who don’t used them but there are also a lot more new people (many who just tick rather than rate) that are not bothering.

Maybe an Admin could suggest that @joet or @services could send out a message with a link to inform users what is available to them?

<*))))))><

1 Like

I do like to look at others stats from time to time, not regularly. It used to be a lot more interesting before the services changed the friends tracking page that we used to have. The new version has been unreadable for years now, one of the problems where non users are making the changes.
I try not to get too tied up with it because it can drag you into competing, which is not something I want to do with beer, but it’s nice to see how people are getting along.

Always enjoyed the style … remember it was a popular (newish) thing on my first trips to the US in the middle/back end of the noughties.

It then caught on over here 2013/14/15/16 then faded away again in terms of being a common thing that all brewers tended to kick out.

Most of the London RB crew also enjoyed CDA’s so we made it a thing to pick up as many as we could on our respective travels then share at tastings.

This is why 5 of the top 6 raters of this style are or were from the London crew … and looking a little further down the list … 7 of the top 12 and 9 of the top 30 !

2 Likes

Someone recently asked me how many ratings I’ve had and i realized my answer was low by like 1000, so apparently I don’t even care about my own stats anymore :rofl: (Which is not really true, I totally care about them, just not on a daily basis / total ratings doesn’t mean as much to me anymore vs. trying to get new countries/regions, ticking new breweries etc. which are more fun to pursue now.)

1 Like

I seem to remember you and a few of your mates having a bit of a race to reach 100 of the style first; who won? Black IPA’s I am talking about.

<*))))))><

PS. I have 100 rates in the style at the moment, but I appear to be a bit late for the party!

I enjoy all the Country, Style Stats, etc. It’s always interesting to see what peope have managed.

I was wondering where I was in terms of UK based ratings of Finnish beers so took a look at people’s numbers. Look like I’m #2

1 Like

Oh … wouldn’t have been a race to 100 … the likes of Ken and Leighton probably had that many when I joined RB … could have been a friendly race to 500 between Leighton and myself … can’t recall who got there first !

1 Like

The new ‘regional’ stats from Australia, Belgium and Scotland have ‘energised’ me to take a look at my global ratings and place reviews; maybe changing how I prioritise my drinking. I have little urges to gather rates from places to bulk up my scores rather than drink what I want/like.

I’m turning into a proper ‘Stat Twat’.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

Didn’t realise until now that you are so high up on the place raters’ board! Always good to read your reviews

1 Like

Thank you, glad somebody reads them occasionally.

<*))))))><

1 Like