OVERALL. What is YOUR list of 20 words (1-20) or short expression to express your final feeling?

• · 20 …………………………
  • · 19 …………………………
  • · 18 …………………………
  • · 17 …………………………
  • · 16 …………………………
  • · 15 …………………………
  • · 14 …………………………
  • · 13 …………………………
  • · 12 …………………………
  • · 11 …………………………
  • · 10 …………………………
  • · 9 ………………………….
  • · 8 ………………………….
  • · 7 ………………………….
  • · 6 ………………………….
  • · 5 ………………………….
  • · 4 ………………………….
  • · 3 ………………………….
  • · 2 ………………………….
  • · 1 ………………………….

For example, such words as “good”, “very good”, “great”, “fair”, “meh”, disgusting”, where do you put it on YOUR” Overall scale” ?

A few years ago, I began a short list of words to help me to describe my rating (basically what I felt after my tasting). I think that’s an important part of the description to fully “live” the tasting. The analytical part (appearance/aroma/taste/palate) is not enough. I didn’t invent anything ; that’s what the overall-ratebeer part is all about, after all !I think that makes the game a lot more fun and interesting to play and to share.

So, take a pencil a paper, you have 10 minutes !

PS : I purposely hid my list to avoid influencing you.

Take care, cheers, Vincent !

Can @FatPhil set up something that goes through all our rates? :grin:

2 Likes

There are phrases I know I overuse. I seem to be running out of words. This is my basic rate:

[Dispense method] at [place of purchase]. Light/mid-/dark gold/brown/black/red with a big/small white/beige/tan head. Aroma is [adjective] with hints of [fruit] and [weird thing]. Sweet/bittersweet/bitter/tart taste, turning/staying sweet/bittersweet/bitter/tart toward the [adjective that is often ‘medicinal’] finish. Soft/medium/medium to heavy/heavy carbonation. [Wrapping up sentence where I try to display some creativity, but often ends up being something like ‘This was nice, I’d have it again.’]

Hopefully this slowing-down of my rating will inspire more adventurous use of the written word.

1 Like

Take a moment and just write what comes out of your mind. You might be surprised. I think, that’s easier to start from the beginning and end point (1 and 20, then the middle 10) and then fill in the gap…

Great ! Indeed, you are agree with you for the"more adventurous use of the written words". Nevertheless, I think there is also creativity in your Let me explain.

Overall… this tasting was :

• 20 : perfect… (or wow, speechless…)

• 19 : wonderful, fantastic !!!

• 18 : awesome, splendid, magnificent, brilliant !!!

• 17 : delicious !!

• 16 : great !

• 15 : very good !

• 14 : good

• 13 : pleasant, enjoyable

• 12 : fair, not bad

• 11 : ok,

• 10 : average

• 9 : meh

• 8 : disappointing

• 7 : poor

• 6 : dull, boring

• 5 : unpleasant

• 4 : bad

• 3 : disgusting, disillusioned

• 2 : no… seriously ?!??

• 1 : fussoire *** (untranslatable recurrent joke from sketchs of french comedians « Les robins des Bois »

1 Like