"Overrated!" - Which highly regarded brews are not to your liking?

As far as major popular breweries go, Anchorage and Green Flash are two of my lowest overall rated. At 2.9 and 2.1 respectively.

All of the Anchorage beers, or almost all, seem to be collaborations. Which for the most part, I’m not a fan of.

Green Flash can ftfo.

Pretty much anything aged in some stupid fuckin barrel. Yeah, there are some decent ones but they’re usually just fuckin up a perfectly good, RIS, Barleywine or whatever they wanna rape. But it sells so fuck it!

2 Likes

When I’m at such a venue, what goes through my mind is “fuck, all these wankers, in front of and behind the bars, this is going to be terrible”. Quite how I manage to remain as unbiassed as I do in my reviews I’ll never know.

Yeah, but what didn’t you like about it?

1 Like

Hopefully, most of the time, I’m not disappointed by high-rated brews… There are two brewers whom I’m in trouble: Siren (too h2o-like brews) and Brussels Beer Project (whose quality is not proportional to their recent omnipresence (what a hype!): french supermarkets (between despe and kro), every night-shop in Bruxelles, etc.).
(And it reminds me of a beer in particular, drunk a few weeks ago: Fourpure Oatmeal Stout. Maybe there was a problem with this one, but I substantially noted: nose on fertilizer, mouth on manure, retro-olfaction on sewer or old sink not washed, cat poop… :face_vomiting:)

2 Likes

These exactly. I understand they might have been great 15 years ago, but not now.

Oh one more disappointing beer for me was Pilsner Urquell Nefiltrovaný, pretty much average pilsener. Also Dogfish Head 90 Min, but with distribution it has I’m not surprised. Also Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux.

Huge let down for me were Jackie O’s infected imperial stouts like Black Mask and Champion Ground, not sure if infected beers count. Just a disgrace paying 16 euros for such beer.

You seem to have an odd definition of hype. I don’t think BBP is considered a particularly good brewery.

These are beers with a score of 4.00 and above which I have rated at least 1.5 lower:

Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake -3.18
Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake - Double Barrel -3.15
Lervig / Way 3 Bean Stout -2.86
Struise Black Damnation V - Double Black -2.81
Schramm’s Black Agnes -2.77
Southern Tier Blackwater Series: Choklat -2.56
Omnipollo / Siren / David Strachan Lorelei Maple Coconut Toast Imperial Porter -2.54
Omnipollo / Buxton Yellow Belly Peanut Butter Biscuit Stout -2.54
Deschutes The Abyss - Rye Whiskey -2.46
Omnipollo / Dugges Anagram Blueberry Cheesecake Stout -2.21
Toppling Goliath pseudoSue -2.21
BrewDog Paradox Compass Box -2.21
Lawson’s Finest Sip of Sunshine IPA -1.96
To Øl Black Malts & Body Salts Black Coffee IIPA -1.93
Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (Bourbon Edition) -1.86
Deschutes The Abyss -1.80
Omnipollo Agamemnon Bourbon -1.77
Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale - Double Dry Hopped -1.74
Jackie O’s Bourbon Barrel Champion Ground -1.60
Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake -1.55
Cigar City Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout -1.51

2 Likes

OK, so it’s this game, eh? Same criteria as Omhper - you scumbags with no palate gave it 4 or above (which narrows it down to 181 of my RB ratings), I gave it 1.5 or more less than you lot.

Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake - Bourbon -2.26
Port Brewing Hop 15 -2.11
Prairie Bomb! -2.05
Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa -2.05
Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme -1.96
BrewDog Dog A -1.94
De Molen Weer & Wind (2016) -1.84
Omnipollo / Dugges Anagram Blueberry Cheesecake Stout -1.81
Perennial Abraxas -1.79
Lervig / Hoppin’ Frog Sippin’ Into Darkness -1.71
Kees Caramel Fudge Stout (Bourbon BA) -1.70
Cigar City Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout -1.61
BrewDog Paradox Heaven Hill -1.53
Firestone Walker Parabola -1.51 (with a years-later rerate at the same score)
Omnipollo / Dugges Anagram Maple -1.50

1 Like

Such festivals, especially the ones with timed sessions crammed with the limited trinity of sour-IPA-BAStout, ought to be called Instant Palate Fatigue Fests

Siren used to be good - very good. Not sure exactly when the fall happened, as there was a period of a couple of years where they weren’t available here. But definitely, now they’re back, they’re not a patch on what they were. Good ones are 3.mid, naff ones are 2.hi, a few don’t even scrape that. Good on you for having the honesty to rate the cerealist manifesto exactly as you saw it, no matter what the masses say. (I notice I’m 3 from the bottom on that one.) The masses aren’t (or shouldn’t be) in your head when you’re drinking the beer. Keep it real!

BBP only seem to hype themselves, noone else, apart from their distributors, does.

Fourpure are pretty trash generally, a solid 2.x brewer, I’ve had as many 1.x as 3.x from them. Now sold to evilcorp, and good riddance.

1 Like

I second this statement verbatim.

Beers I never understood the hype surrounding:

Pliny the Elder
ABT 12
Any Dark Lord variant
Most J Wakefield stouts
Saison Dupont
Alpine Great

1 Like

Word. My rule on hazy IPAs these days, since enough of thrm are around, is I don’t wait in line and definitely not for arrogant douchbags like Tree House or the Veil. I have less problem with the ones that aren’t so snobby like Aslin, Trillium and Commonwealth.

Dark Lord. The worst top 10 beer by a longshot.
Kormoran Imperium Prunem - When I was in Poland everyone said that the first batch was the only truly great one, which resulted in all the good ratings.
Lost Abbey Angel’s share. Just syrup.
Russian River Consecration - this is just acid. No real flavor here.
Port Brewing Older Viscosity - more syrup

3 Likes

A lot of imperial stouts/porters. I used to have a bit of a taste for them, but then I realised that if I wanted to have a lot of booze, I could just drink wodka.

2 Likes

Proberly gonna get some heat for this, but:
Hill Farmstead, dont get me wrong beers are good, but overall i dont get the hype.
Some of the Brewdog Imperial stouts i have rated way under the average.
Sante Andairuis, not a huge fan from the beers i had before, but as we visited their taproom this summer i really liked our stay there and we had some really good IPA’s.

3 Likes

I actually agree with that. The beers are usually good, but not top tier and therefore way overhyped.