Polls on "difficult" beer style choices "The Sequel"

Actually where would you enter this beer on the website

SOUR PALE ALE

1. Sour / Wild Ale
  2. Pale Ale

0 voters

And if it was up to you, where would you enter it?

1. Sour / Wild Ale
  2. Pale Ale

0 voters

I would enter any of them depending on which flavours are dominant but that’s just me.

3 Likes

MACROBREWERY PREMIUM DARK LAGER

1. Amber Lager / Vienna Lager
  2. Dark Lager - Dunkel/Tmavý

0 voters

1. Amber Lager / Vienna Lager
  2. Dark Lager - Dunkel/Tmavý

0 voters

HEFEWEIZEN brewed with Vanilla

1. Weissbier - Hefeweizen
  2. Flavored - Other

0 voters

1. Weissbier - Hefeweizen
  2. Flavored - Other

0 voters

KVEIK IPA

1. IPA
  2. Gotlandsdricke/Kveik/Sahti

0 voters

1. IPA
  2. Gotlandsdricke/Kveik/Sahti

0 voters

Not just you, me too. If I had something the brewer called a sour IPA, I would add it as a sour beer if the sourness dominated, or as an IPA if the hops were to the fore.

2 Likes

That’s not very practical. Once the beer gets older, it would progress from IPA to Sour ale.

This is exactly why there will always be discussion if there are no good guidelines.
I’d say, for your example, it’s meant to be sour, so it’s a sour ale. Even if it is hop-forward, it’s still a sour ale, because sour is a catch-all. Same with flavoured or fruited. As soon as there’s fruit in there, it should be a fruit beer, even if it doesn’t taste like one.

2 Likes

Who the fuck grouped beers with Kveik yeast with Sahti and Gotlandsdricke? Extreme ignorance right there.

9 Likes

this highly depends on the beer itself. I’d need to see its color and taste profile.

2 Likes

30 posts were split to a new topic: New styles whining and bitching

Why is sour ale a catch all?
Why is fruited a catch all?
Is a stout with vanilla a spiced / herb ale?

3 Likes

" Vanilla is the second most expensive herb /spice"

But usually there are some other ingredients which should likely control the style choice

1 Like

My post was more a response to Borrestijn’s, as he stated that beer with any fruit is always fruit beer, so I wonder if beer with any spice would be a spiced beer.

Well, if we followed that path, any beer with flowers would be floral, and then we’d only have floral beers - since hops are flowers

Why would anyone let a beer with IPA in the name let it get old? Meant to be drank fresh so it would not be the brewer’s fault…

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/stone-enjoy-after-brett-ipa/285090/

Sometimes the brewer tells you to…

1 Like

That’s a different kettle of black haddock.

As a BJCP judge, I always have to consider the style a beer is entered versus the style guidelines, so that is how I voted in both these threads, but what stuck out to me was the significant inconsistency in the votes. Sometimes the base beer won by a landslide, sometimes the addition won by a landslide. If a traditional (not-fruited) beer is brewed with cherries (for example), it’s now a fruited beer!

When I saw the extreme expansion of styles, my main thought was the difficulty for people to determine which style to put a beer in, and given today’s brewers’ willingness/desire to just brew a fun, new beer, style be damned, it’s become increasingly more difficult to force many beers into a defined category. I enter beers onto my retail company’s web site and have to categorize with just a few dozen categories and it’s tough enough with many new beers. Adding more styles makes it even more difficult. This series of polls seems to prove that.

1 Like

One of the best classifications there is! You can also add X, XX, XXX, or even XXXX depending on strength. Maybe add indication also whether it should be sour by brewers intention. 90% of time you will instantly have broad idea what something will taste and smell like, if it is “black XXXX strength non sour”
or “blonde XX sour”.

Again: how it is not a fruit beer when the dominating thing in it is cherries? EVERY fruit beer has some kind of base beer style, in that sense fruit beer as style doesn’t exist… And in the way opposite is of course true, if fruit beer as style exists, then you can turn every style into fruit beer, if you add enough strong flavored fruits. So every base beer style is actually something that is waiting to be turned into fruit beer :slight_smile: (hence every beer is actually fruit beer ?!)

1 Like