Questions: If ratebeer could add one MAJOR feature set, or change the site in some MAJOR way in order to modernize, improve itself? FINAL ANSWER: BUG FREE, STREAMLINED TO NEW DESIGN

Agreed. If you’re trying to add users, you need to come up with more social additions. Something like:

Have a suggested beers to try - only people you are friended to can add what beer and where to get it (location’s last a week). Let people build the shopping list/pub crawl for you. User can choose what region to get locations from.

Just tossing things out there.

1 Like

Definitely the social aspect. Like making likes not suck and work and show who they are by. Being able to comment on others’ ratings. Etc.

2 Likes

A feature I would like, is the same as other review sites, like TripAdvisor, have, and that is the ability to sort reviews by score. I find the negative reviews to be at least as useful as the positive, and generally more useful. At the moment we can find the top rated reviews very easily, and many of them are not worth looking at: “This is the only beer I drink. It’s the best beer in the world.” But in order to get to the negative reviews we have to tediously scroll through many pages. And at each new page we have to scroll down to the bottom again, there isn’t the ability to select scrolling at the top.

I also like to see the reviews by date. To see how the reviews have changed over time, or in response to something that happened, like a change in marketing or abv. .

4 Likes

I would also like the ability to simply select my overall score rather than tediously go through the arbitrary numbers. I know that most RateBeerians out in the field, do not go through the numbers, but simply give an overall score. “What do you reckon of this?” “It’s a 3 for me.” “I was thinking more of a 3.5” “Well I really like it, I’m going to give it a 4” “It’s just a 2.7 for me.”

1 Like

Note that SilkTork’s sorting of ratings and the ability to see how they change over time are features the site had for many years and that people have been asking to have back for a a few years now.

The feature I’d like to see is some sort of guaranteed cool-off time for the membership to organise an offer to buy the site or its database in the event that ABInbev decides they no longer wish to fund it. So a commitment that if that happens there would be some time (a fortnight or a month) for the membership or whoever to come up with an offer before the plug is pulled.

6 Likes

This has been noted there for a long time here for the devs to correct.

Social aspect would be our strength. Return of the DBG would be sweet. More public New ratebeerians list or acknowledgement could be cool, more inviting. Maybe a new forum asking new RBeerians what needs to help step up our old ass game of rating beer and beer info,shit and such.

2 Likes

I’d love to be able to consistently log in properly.

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa, let’s keep things to a reasonable scope here.

Haven’t had any log in issues in a while.

It wants me to log in almost every time.

As an admin, I would have no problems verifying these scrapes for my local area.

1 Like

I’d really like for this to feel like an cohesive site again. Right now, it’s like separate sites for beer ratings, forums, stat pages, etc.

There are also lots of bugs and fixes, as described in the litany of replies above, that I would hope the devs would focus on rather than focusing on new features.

2 Likes

Cause it is lol. There are at least three versions of Ratebeer currently running that, as far as I can tell, use mostly or completely different tech stacks. And it’s probably far more than that. Every rewrite that’s been done in the past has only been partial and only affected a set of pages, and many of those old pages that haven’t been rewritten are still kicking.

3 Likes

Yeah, the uniformity of the site using only one design (the latest) should be a priority… Right now having to go through different design on each click, with multiple logins depending on the design is simply awful…
The fact that we get 1-2 updated page to new design per year is inacceptable…

Add to this that most of the bugs are still found on older pages (some being more than 10 years old) is just beyond comprehension…

@joet @services

I mean, you still can’t do a normal beer search from the forum home page. That’s been broken for like 3 years. I can’t imagine any new feature being successfully rolled out.

I’m happy just using the existing broken site as is, to be honest. Just don’t keep breaking things.

12 Likes

What’s the addition of , FINAL ANSWER: BUG FREE, STREAMLINED TO NEW DESIGN, to the thread title mean? Was added in the last week or so?? Or am I just being my flaky fuckin self and missed it all this time? :rofl:

1 Like

It was added a day ago:

1 Like

Thanks. So is this our future?

Seems like the general consensus is that people want to have the site fixed before adding anything new… People want the damn site working correctly. I totally agree with that.

4 Likes