Rare styles that deserve more hype

Correct.
I agree that there are a lot of uninteresting examples of the style but when one is doing an Apfelwein trip in Frankfurt you can also discover some great and complex examples. I had a good example in a Frankfurt bar who carries hundreds of Apfelwein and Ciders from just around the corner of Frankfurt which was fruity but very sour close to Lambic which blew my mind - though the Frankfurt people hate that as I got told by the waitress.

Not just North America but plenty of generally bad cider in the UK.

Iā€™d like to add true to style Kolsch (style) ales.
No more of this honey, mango shit.

Though a true Kƶlsch is alway filtered, otherwise itā€™s a Wiess (Cologne dialect for ā€œblankā€, also itā€™s served in .3 Weizen glasses). Iā€™d rather like to see more Wiess which is also named correctly.

2 Likes

White Ciders Obviously.

1 Like

Obviously.

1 Like
  • Scotch Ale
  • Old Ale
  • Foreign Stouts
  • Sahti

Definitely agree with Wiess and Milds. I would add Zwickel/Keller/Zoigls.

I would love to see more dry hopped hefe weizens, hopfen weize or what you want to call them. Note that Iā€™m not talking about the confusing style White IPA.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait for 'murica to invent Kvassā€¦

4 Likes

DDH NE Glitter Kvass Barrel Aged with Mango

3 Likes

I said 'murica didnā€™t I? Fixed it for you :wink:

7 Likes

More Kellerpils. If well made, one of my favourite Lager styles, but so hard to find. And I second more traditional Berliner Weisse like Schneeeule!

2 Likes

Milds, Bitters, California Commons.

I was wondering why Kristallweizen wasnā€™t ā€œrediscoveredā€ like Kƶlsch.

Iā€™d actually like to see classic Pale Ales make a return. No triple dryhopped APAs, no Session IPA, no New England Pale Ale. Just a solid, easy drinkable, decently hopped APA.

1 Like

Classic PAs seem to have made a modest come back in the Northeast US. They are probably less malty than their predecessors, but still clearly identifiable as such.

But that really is ā€˜justā€™ a clear weizen, right? Iā€™ve had very few of them, but I really donā€™t see the point of the existance of this styleā€¦

and Kƶlsch is ā€œjustā€ a clear WieƟā€¦

1 Like

And dark is just a clear blankā€¦ dunkleweizen

Zima