Ratebeer is dead, long live untappd

This thing about selling out to the evil masters called big beer… I’ll be damned if this is not the definition of selling out your brand:

3 Likes

It took me around two weeks of hardcore adding, or at least until my eyes felt like were going to burn from their sockets, and you have nearly 1,000 more than I did when I transferred. $50 is a bargain.

Yeah so did i when they first started and just got grief for posting to much

But you right now , other than reading most of my posting is sadly just venting at some of the massive drop in usability

I’ve rated 4 of the 5 - so I pasted my rates into UT. Now I have got a stinkin’ badge: Beer Connoisseur

She…t, if UT needs stinkin’ badges, RB should freshen up and bring’em back!

I’m wondering about the future of Ratebeer too. I’ve taken about 6 years off from beer rating and just started again, so the current status is a bit of a mystery to me right now. Untappd was still new when I quit back in 2012 and I kind of brushed it off as too simplistic.

What I’ve seen is that is still the case. It makes it too easy to add a rating without any thought, leading to dumbed down ratings. It makes it too easy for people that know nothing about beer to have an equal voice. Some pisshead that loves Natty Light can repeatedly tell us how great it is. What Untappd does have is amazing numbers and in fairness the average scores are not too far from the RB averages, which does give me some confidence in the integrity of ratings over there.

On the negative side, there’s not the sense of community over there - although in my couple of weeks back here I’m not seeing the community that RB used to have and I think a lot of the people I used to socialize with have left. That the site thrives seems to be the growth in European users and not US users. This is just my observation and not necessarily fact.

But on the positive side Untappd is so much easier. Beer and place databases are more up to date. Brewers are more involved. I hate to say it but I do think RB is dying. It still holds a special place, not only nostalgic, but also where I can make more in depth ratings. I’m still new on untappd and for now I’ll be posting my ratings to both. I wish RB could find a way to reinvent itself, simpler interface, more dynamic updates, better industry connection, but that seems unlikely.

Why do people think you can’t make in-depth ratings on UT? You absolutely can, you just aren’t required to.

1 Like

140 chars maximum. That’s not in-depth IMHO. Not a single one of my reviews can be put on UT.

3 Likes

This. I’ve also sifted through lots of beers on the UT. Majority of “ratings “ are few and far between. So much so that I get tired of lookin for an actual rating. Lotsa silly comments but little in actual meaningful rates. But obviously it’s the hip thing to do!

3 Likes

That explains why the ratings I copied over got chopped!

1 Like

255 if you use the app. Plenty room if you keep it on point.

Not for those that write reviews of any real detail, like myself and most of my RB friends. 255 is still not nearly enough, and there’s no need for such a tiny maximum. A maximum can certainly be enforced, but 255 is silly, designed for tweeters basically.

You can still make them as long as you want using the comments option more than once. :wink:

1 Like

Dont let the haters stop you @cgarvieuk . Post away. And poll away…

2 Likes

Ive been trying to think of new polls. But i peaked too early :smiley:

2 Likes

I just thought of one:

2 Likes

You can do “Why X is the most useless style ever” threads as a spin-off.

1 Like

Once the numbers come in on the vote…

1 Like