Ratebeer Site - Historical Ratings by Month

Update for the past few months – the last three months have seen a slight drop.

4 Likes

Sad reading but not unexpected.

It would also be great to compare certain breaking points with loss of active raters and active visitors. Like - how many active, contributing users have left following a broken, unfinished page released live - which was the last straw for them. Or some feature getting broken / removed and then not reintroduced.

That would be interesting. Not sure if we have access to reliable data in that regard though.

2 Likes

Wow, same level as Q1 '13…

-30% y/y. Not a good look. And the app doesn’t seem to be helping anything.

This is kind of impossible to do, but I wonder too what this graph would look like if you excluded the top 10-20 raters each month, as it would give a stronger indicator of the general ecosystem after removing the rating machines, whom are kind of their own set of datapoints but don’t much represent site health.

3 Likes

I don’t know if @henriksoegaard or @FatPhil (for example for the “how many to make a million”) have already datapoints that can be used to plot the number of ratings of the top 20; it could be done with the current top 20 even if the list was different a while back.

(related to that, I noticed that at least 3 top 20 are not active anymore; Papsoe for a few years, Pat for 2 years, and then travlr)

2 Likes

what happened to Pat (oh6gdx)?

Pat works for a brewery now and has stopped entering ratings.

We’ve actually lost a bunch of highly active raters to this.

Last month (Jan. 2020) had the fewest total monthly ratings on the site since Mar. 2012.

3 Likes

Does that include people who just tick review also ?

Or you talking about traditional worded ratings?

I believe so. It appears that, since ticks became an option on the site, they’ve become included in the rating count reflected in my graphs in this thread. You can see this if you go to delete a rating from the old rating page, there’s a rating ID associated.

Sad.

1 Like

Remember the 100 beer club?
https://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/beerClub.asp
So right now there are 69 pages of with 110 users per page. Total is 7526 Users with 100 ratings or more.

You can use the Wayback Machine https://archive.org/web/ to look back at that page through time to work out how many users had at least 100 ratings at various points in history.

For example on 1st Sept 2003 there were 527 in the 100 club. On 10th Feb 2017 there were approx 6770 users in the 100 club.

A graph with more results plotted in would be interesting to see.

3 Likes

do it

Updated graph:

The monthly average for 2023 is just under 40K, roughly equal to early 2011. I’m actually surprised it’s still this high given the login issues.

6 Likes

Seems like roughly plateaued for last few years (slight decline). Still a lot of ratings

Tickers always find a way. I doubt any major tickers let some login issues get in their way. However, more casual users may have been lost.

FWIW, 2011 (and around those years) were seemingly the best. There were a lot of users in metro areas and easy to do tastings. I am assuming that we have a lot more tickers and less overall active raters.

1 Like

Pleased the site is still getting plenty of rates per month. When you consider how many left the site when it was ‘sold’ and the issues we’ve had since logging in, etc, etc.

Be interesting to see US, Canadian and UK (German and Scandinavian too) rating stats compared to the hey days.

<*))))))><