RB App v1.36.3 - Huge design overhaul today... your thought

@Bitterbill I was trying to add a new beer to the database using the app. The first screenshot is when I search for the brewery on the add beer screen. The second screenshot is a general brewery search (which is what you did) showing the brewery is already in the database, obviously.

1 Like

Ahh
I don’t even see an add a beer screen.

Apparently there isn’t an add beer button on the brewery page on the app. You have to search for a beer name that doesn’t exist then you get it.

I see. Just like Untappd.

In the app version, this is even worse

For example, I want to enter a new beer for Microbrasserie Nouvelle-France named under one of their “sub” brand Helix (which is their gluten free division)

1.First the Brewer doesn’t even put up as choice when searching for it in the Add Beer page in the app
 Even with the exact wording.

1. I cannot continue with that example because I can’t find the Brewer in my example ( https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/microbrasserie-nouvelle-france/905/ )

So let’s say I try to add a beer for Microbrasserie Glutengerg (Groupe Glutenberg). I want to add the Beer as Glutenberg Brune, but it the name of the Beer, there’s no way to remove the “Microbrasserie” word that I don’t want in the Beer name to follow convention with their other listed beers because you blocked it (this is not the case in the web version)

Hi @Bitterbill we just released a fix for this in version 1.26.4. Sometimes it takes a few hours to get to the app store, but the issue should be fixed for you soon :slight_smile:

Hi @MarcoDL, sorry about that! We just released a fix for this in version 1.26.4, which will be on the play store soon :slight_smile:

Thanks!

What you’re saying is the perfect case scenario. Dig slightly deeper into the database and the beer world, and the whole world of exceptions pops up.

Sometimes, especially in the macro world - the brand takes precedence over the brewery name. For example your boss people:
https://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/ShowBrewerBeers.asp?BrewerID=84

The brewing entity’s name is Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev).

Then you have Bud Light.

According to your system, the beer would have to be added as Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev) Bud Light.

And that’s not mentioning that the list of terms to be shortened is flawed - it was shown to us way back when and looked very amateurishly made, especially when it came to non-English terms, and my suggestions for the fix were, for example and unsurprisingly, ignored (what you got here back then for pointing out bugs and design flaws and not praising shoddy work at that time).

Follow-up appeals to let admins - and some of us are people with extreme beer-related linguistic knowledge - look over the list again and fix what needed to be fixed were since ignored as well.

I’ll give you another example. Pivovara is the Croatian word for brewery (another thing omitted on said list and not added after that was pointed out). Obviously, such words are generally shortened. However, Pivovara Medvedgrad wants the full name to be included since (and with good reason - won’t go into why), for some others - it’s okay to shortened - for some others - it just looks awkward and bad from a language standpoint if they are shortened. Forcing anything is bad as you’ll never find a fit-all solution that doesn’t create cringe and/or work.

If you’ll add another name-related field to the brewery/beer/place entries, add “Brewery/Beer/Place name in the original script” and make it searchable - now that would help the site immensely!

1 Like

That said, with another review lost last night, I’m not using the app anymore and will not be recommending its usage to anyone until I’m convinced that’s fixed.

1 Like

It’s still not fixed, getting really annoying. Any idea when this might happen?