Really Random Barley Wine/Who Do You Think You Are Query

One of my early alcohol related memories is spending a weekend at my grandparents at the same time as my great auntie Joan. My grandfather went to the drinks cabinet (this was Hampshire after all) and then told me, “I knew I should have bought more sherry.”

At the time that statement didn’t really mean much to me but I later realised why she was always so happy and bubbly.

A couple of times I’ve mentioned Barley Wine to my father (last week my cousin brought some over for me from Finland and it came up again) and he’s said, “Auntie Joan liked a Barley Wine.”

So the point to my post is… I presume she was drinking Gold Label but is there anything else that would have been sold in pubs in Stafford?

They still sell Gold Label in some supermarkets - not sure who owns the brand. I must try another one day.
Talking of sherry I had a 2005 Port BA Harvest Ale on Friday - that tastes like sherry as well!

I keep meaning to buy a pack at my local Waitrose. Althought the ABV means it should no longer qualify as a barley wine.

The Little Earth Project Red TrIPA I am drinking was aged in a sherry barrel. Lovely jubbly.

I just checked up the Gold Label & funnily enough it’s brewed 10 minutes from my house by InBev at Salmesbury

1 Like

So the point to my post is… I presume she was drinking Gold Label but is there anything else that would have been sold in pubs in Stafford?

Bass No1 Barley Wine most likely @beardedavenger.

<*))))))><