Regions of Japan

Hello!
We are splitting different countries into regions and I was wondering if this is the best way to separate Japan into 8 regions on RateBeer?

Hokkaido
Tohoku
Kanto
Chubu
Kansai
Chugoku
Shikoku
Kyushu

I’m not an expert on Japan, but it seems like such a disservice to a country of 125 million to reduce it to eight regions instead of 47 prefectures (which, considering the US and its’ 50 states, isn’t an unprecedented level of subdivision). And perhaps I’m reading it wrong, but the eight regions seem to be more of a historical region with looser definitions as opposed to a well-defined administrative area with a strong structure. I’m happy for someone with lots of Japanese knowledge to prove me wrong, though!

I get that, just seems like so far, what we are doing, is to do regions, then further subdivision in the future? I know we’ve done it both ways though so I’m not really advocating necessarily for one way or another. But ya, in France for example, or Scotland it seems like we’re going the “less is more” route.

In the U.S. there isn’t really any recognized larger division than states. States, then counties in states.

@KyotoLefty @TimE @kansaibeerlvrs @maekchu @shoulderbroken @jc1762

Japan is already split by prefectures so going to regions is a step back…

if you must those are the generally accepted regions but within the country’s beer community everyone talks of prefectures.

Is Canada split into Maritimes, Prairies, Central Canada, West Coast and the North? The US into Plains, West, East Coast, PNW, South?

Moving backwards makes no sense to me. Japan is already split into prefectures, those are all the regions you need.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Wasn’t really sure on the specifics there.

I guess the only counterargument is that 47 is a ton. Compared to Canada or U.S., it seems to me (and I well could be wrong), that these regions are more like states, and prefectures are more like counties?

Prefectures = State/Province

The regions really have little official meaning.

2 Likes

Cool. There a list somewhere with all 47 laid out I can pass along?

ISO-3166-2:JP lists the 47, but I guess a decision would have to be taken by someone whether to use Japanese or English spelling on some of them.

1 Like

Having lived there for a year back in the day teaching English I can definitely say Fukuoka vs Hukuoka and Yamaguchi vs Yamaguti makes way more sense given we tend towards English names on this site when they exist. Some of the others are just about dropping accents. Tokyo and Osaka are widely known without them for example, so I’d say go with those. I literally didn’t even know Hukuoka etc. was the actual name/spelling, but then again I barely learned hiragana when I was there, so I wasn’t exactly any kind of expert on spelling. Too bad I wasn’t into craft beer back then. Just drinking 1 L Asahi cans that fell from outdoor vending machines like a bomb for 500 yen. Those were the days.

1 Like

Ok so, this right?:

Aichi
Akita
Aomori
Ehime
Gifu
Gunma
Hiroshima
Hokkaido
Fukui
Fukuoka
Fukushima
Hyogo
Ibaraki
Ishikawa
Iwate
Kagawa
Kagoshima
Kanagawa
Kochi
Kumamoto
Kyoto
Mie
Miyagi
Miyazaki
Nagano
Nagasaki
Nara
Niigata
Oita
Okayama
Okinawa
Osaka
Saga
Saitama
Shiga
Shimane
Shizuoka
Chiba
Tochigi
Tokushima
Tokyo
Tottori
Toyama
Wakayama
Yamagata
Yamaguchi
Yamanashi

1 Like

Is the final prefectures list correct?

Are there any shortcuts for postal codes in these regions in Japan btw that will make things easier for admins?

Just checking in, is Japan split at this point? I think we were waiting for sake breweries way back when? Was it you @martjoobolut that was doing that? Just wondering as that was one reason for not splitting more countries…

It has been mostly done for a couple of months. There is a bit more effort needed to recheck some sake producers as someone else did part of the alphabet, but left some unassigned.
I have been rather busy during the summer, so haven’t had much time to admin rb (hence why haven’t done much more lambic fixing also). I don’t see having much more free time to do these things before September/October.

1 Like

No worries, no trying to pressure, was just wondering.