Release: First version of new Activity Feed

But surely adding white space does not mean to bury the information?

1 Like

Please bring back the old ā€˜latest activityā€™ feed. The new one is terrible and is essentially the RateBeer homepage for many users, myself included.

2 Likes

itā€™s still there.
Click on your prifole icon, then New Releases, the local folder.
or directly from
https://www.ratebeer.com/latest/local

I know that these kinds of decisions are very unpopular with our beloved experts here, and thereā€™s a reason RateBeer is one of many to make the same changes. RateBeer relies on educating the next generation of beer lovers, and the next generation of RateBeer lovers. For this reason, the interfaces I build and support in development are those that are simpler, more readable, more explicit and more helpful, from the perspective of a general audience. Iā€™d rather our experts be temporarily annoyed by changes than support barriers to entry that make it harder on the new folks coming up.

Some of these feel like small changes that arenā€™t a big deal for newcomers. Collectively though these add up to a new experience.

Iā€™m amazed by the levels of animosity displayed on here, from all sides. At the same time, small suggestions are shrugged off, ignored or buried between ā€œerrmagerrd i hate itā€ and ā€œyou people are impossible!ā€

Have fun improving the site. I hope it works out for all of us. Iā€™m done trying to add anything. Consider this my last animosity. :wink:

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback, and itā€™s the verifiable truth that Iā€™ve incorporated over one dozen suggestions into live code in less than a week. This is extremely rare in the world of software or anywhere in the world of business. That thereā€™s an even greater expectation than this kind of superhuman performance is extremely weird to say the least. Iā€™m actually humbled by the expectation alone, because itā€™s an expectation I helped create in my better days.

I wanted to provide a reality check though, because itā€™s important to the health of the site and the community. This web site, this page in question and its related functions are being put together by someone with more ratebeer building experience than anyone else. There are many new parts to it, and itā€™s one of the largest suites of features that has been put together in several years. Users, expert users in particular, may not understand the reasons for certain changes. This is to be expected because Iā€™m simultaneously developing for three different user types. Development will be ongoing for weeks.

I still very much appreciate feedback. I will not always read every thread. Thereā€™s too much going on now, my time is spread over several projects and duties now, and I have a strong vision for how this page will be enhanced and I canā€™t be derailed at this point. The expert view of this page can be expected to be enhanced during this development period. Iā€™ll certainly read but not necessarily respond to comments.

Again, thank you all.

Joe

2 Likes

Yeah, but sadly itā€™s only showing information for one of my friends. I know well more activity than that has happened recently that should show up.

1 Like

Not IMHO. General local activity is of some interest perhaps, but itā€™s not what the old feed showed you, which was friend (people you follow) activity. The new ā€œfeedā€ (which isnā€™t quite a feed IMHO) shows some friend ā€œsummariesā€ but is about equally cluttered with random ā€œnewly added beersā€ from random breweries added by random people (non-friends in all 8 of the ones on my page, which havenā€™t seemed to change in the past 2 or 3 days). The new feed unfortunately has tilted away from friend/social function and towards advertising function.

1 Like

Right, thatā€™s because itā€™s just local activity, i.e. near you, but not friend-specific. In my case, ā€œlocalā€ is not currently showing any of my friendsā€™ activity, because my local friends arenā€™t very active here anymore.

Iā€™m my one and only friendā€¦ I guess itā€™s because I hate peopleā€¦apart for those who drink good beerā€¦I simply despise them :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to be my friend. How might I do that in this new weird system?

Not accounting for novelty effect, typical novice mistake. Lets see the data in a month after this thread has died down.

1 Like

Absolutely. It behaves VERY differently. Itā€™s got nothing to do with timing. I had one friend who rated 10 beers yesterday and the most recent was just 7 hours ago. In the old feed heā€™s right at the top. In the new feed he doesnā€™t show at all and never has, possibly because he ā€œonlyā€ rates 5 to 10 beers per day. The new feed does strangely show friends ratings from 3 days ago, but possibly only because that friend rated 200 beers last weekend, so heā€™s deemed to be worthy of inclusion. Iā€™m seeing friends place ratings from 13 days ago, so why donā€™t I see beer ratings from just 7 hours back?

As other people have reported too, iā€™m also seeing newly added beers by Friends who are absolutely not friends at all. I have no connection with them.

This code should never have been moved into production. The website isnā€™t a sand pit. Code should be absolutely rock solid and tested to death before itā€™s moved into a live situation. Yes, there will be bugs occasionally, but this code is simply not fit for purpose iā€™m afraid :frowning:

After beer score and places score, I think we are introducing Friends Score based on their power, :smiley:

Coming up next month, new functionality: Rate a Friend

It might be. But I only see the most active raters, not the 1 or 2 beers per day raters. I suppose that is arranged by time but with any kind of restriction (Showing only the 7 friends with more ratings, for example).

For next generation typing in words or using slicer is too complicated. I give you an idea to use something even more simple:
:smiley:
:slight_smile:
:expressionless:
:frowning:
:frowning_face:
etc. you get the idea. And make those buttons big!

2 Likes

Not even accounting for day of week.

I presume that as thereā€™s less information on the page, the fact that the average time spent on the page has gone up means that the new page is harder to make sense of.

1 Like

How dare you!? Staring at blank white area and New beers entered by my ā€œfriendsā€ who are not actually my friends is my new favourite way to spend my time!

1 Like

I had another look at the ā€˜feedā€™: I have 8 friendā€™s beer rating blurbs in my feed, all of them rated in the last three days (well, up to 3 days ago, so that probably means in the last 4 days). All of them have rated a fair amount of beers in the magic reporting period (which I understand is 12 days?), the one with the least ratings in this period has 43.

Then I had a look at my individual friendā€™s rating pages and I saw another 13 friends who have rated in the magic period (assuming 12 days), all except two even rated in the last 3 days, and all of them rated less beers than the people who did end up in my feed. (edit: I mean less beers in the magic period)

@joet you mentioned the page doesnā€™t behave differently, but I donā€™t really know what you compare it to. I would say it behaves oddly, and more importantly, the current behaviour makes the page totally irrelevant. Snippets of information without context or overview are totally useless.

So what exactly is the new feed page supposed to present?

I think this is the most negative thing about the new Activity feed, missing out on what most of my ā€œfriendsā€ are rating because they donā€™t rate huge amounts of beers per week. Also, since I rate just around eight beers per 14 days, it probably also means that nobody will see my activity on their feeds :sob:.