Remember the good old days

I remember the good old days when you had beer, lager or cider.
The biggest headaches were choosing peanuts or pork scratchings and the one you head the next morning.
Life was so simple then.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s because you live in JustOK Britain, over here in the good old days we had beer. You could walk into a bar and a gal would ask you what you wanted and youd answer beer and sheā€™d bring you one. No menus, no taplists, nothing. Life was bliss in the colonies

2 Likes

Oh no the good days started for me, the day i discovered Real ale and realised i didnt have to have the same beer twice in a row

1 Like

In the good old Dutch days, there were only 16 breweries left in the whole country, and they all made pilsener, some bokbier in autumn and a bit of ā€˜Oud Bruinā€™ (2.5% ultrasweetened stuff). It depended on the region you were in, which pilsener they served. But, to be honest, Belgian beer has been around for quite some time, luckily.

1 Like

Back where I grew up Beer was real ale. If you asked for a beer you got a cask of John Smiths or whatever beer that pub had on cask. Generally most pubs had the same two casks on everyday. If you wanted a lager you had to specify lager.

even on my first visit to local watering holes, there was the rub: Weizen or Lager?

1 Like

Pretty sure Sarky is talking about his current situation

1 Like

Every time someone talks about the good days 2,3,6 decades ago I retort that yeah those were great.

• non-smoking sections in restaurants
  • no seatbelts
  • whiskey was colored artificially and watered down
  • EVERYONE drank vodka
  • Beer was mostly shitty piss water
  • Homebrewers were using bread-yeast to make beer and you could choose 3 hops total to addā€¦FUGGLES FOR DAYS
  • Oh and being a minority, woman or sexually different was way worse than it is now

Oh but we had ā€œreal aleā€ and prince was still alive! Take me back there!!! OMG I MISS IT SO MUCH

1 Like

Vehicles were better back in the day, especially trucks. Trucks currently look awful compared to what they looked like in the first half of the 20th century.

To your point though, the present is better emphasized text_and_emphasized text worse in many ways, some of which you noted. Beer is better for sure.

Things were built better and were far less disposable but we were using heavy steel and plastics technology wasnā€™t what it is today and we were burning more fossil fuels than ever and it was going up every year and there were way more road fatalities and no car-seat requirements and no mobile phone restrictions.

I mean cā€™mon, if you wanna go back to a day where babies were flying out of wind-shields during 10 mile per hour fender benders, be my guest. I donā€™t relish in how the past used to be.

2 Likes

Please contain your posts to topical themes.

2 Likes

Todays are the future good old days.

1 Like

I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them.

1 Like

There are multiple psychological reasons as to why people think that the past is preferable to the present but these are not grounded in reality.

I remember a family acquaintance explaining how great the past was, she was interrupted and reminded that her husband had died in a gulag and that she had lived through, famines, persecution etc. Yet she kept insisting that one of the most horrifying and bloody periods in recent history was preferable to the present. It was quite mad but so is peopleā€™s insistence that somehow the past was objectively better.

There are many psychological processes involved in here & research has been done into this. If you think that you will be happier drinking pale lager feel free to do so, many people still do. I can still demand lager or something to that extent in many bars & get something without specifying a brand.

3 Likes

Mass extinction sucks and everything, but have you seen the new Iphone?

Glass shampoo bottles and iron bathtubs.
AND WE LIKED IT!!

2 Likes

In the old days, if I wanted to go for a pint or ten of warm cask ale there was no way the wife could ring me and ask where I was. I hate mobile phones.

7 Likes

Preach.

2 Likes

I do miss bottle-conditioned Guinness (weā€™re talking mid-80s). I didnā€™t drink enough of it at the time as it was terribly expensive boost for a school-kid, but most of the rest of the muck that was available was terrible. Thank $DEITY for CAMRA.

However, I notice that when I go to the best bars in town with no plans for ticking, I very often fall back onto brews that existed 3 decades ago (e.g. trappists/lambics). So it was only the distribution/availability of the good beers that was poor back then, itā€™s not that they didnā€™t exist.

3 Likes

find friends? leave phone at home, heheh.