RateBeer Forums

Rest in peace, Michael James

We have received news that Michael James, whom some of you might only know as 3fourths, has passed away on Saturday, after a mishap while rowing on his paddleboard in wild waters.

A friend of many here, he was taken away from us way, way too soon, at just 40 years of age, though one would easily give him a decade less, living his life to the fullest and enjoying the nature around him. Ratebeer owed and owes him a huge debt, as, at times - without his coding work and interventions at critical moments, the site probably wouldn’t exist nowadays.

Let’s all raise a glass for MJ today… that’s the least we can do in his honor.

40 Likes

Oh ffs. I have never met him, but remember him as one of the most present and well-traveled Franconia lovers out there.

I’ll raise a Seidla of Löwenbräu Buttenheim Ungespundet tonight.

8 Likes

What a tragic loss. RIP.

4 Likes

Damn, here’s to 3/4, the original franconian american! :beers:

5 Likes

That’s deeply upsetting. For his background work and his broad enthusiasm as a beer geek - rating, travelling, photographing - I consider him one of the greatest RBians. Even though he stepped away from the site a bit (or entirely), his presence has remained in both what he helped to build and also in his many beer and place reviews. It saddens me that his contributions to the world of beer geeks are now final.

14 Likes

Having never met him personally, I still always considered him a RB Elder, and a man who’s beer opinions I took seriously.
May his family and friends find peace and comfort in the many memories MJ has created.

12 Likes

I feel the same way. We wouldn’t have made it this far without lots of work he did. Tragedies like this are hard to understand, but MJ lived life to the fullest even if he was taken to soon from this world.

9 Likes

It’s simply heartbreaking.

When I think of this site in its early days, he’s one of the few who always comes to mind for me. He lived life well and will be missed.

RIP Brother (LaMichael)

8 Likes

Damn, this is really just awful.

3 Likes

Met MJ at RBWG in Asheville and enjoyed a couple of conversations with him. Like Leighton said, his contributions to the site were immeasurable, but more than that, he was just a good dude. It’s just really sad.

8 Likes

Damn, Mike was one of the first RB’ians I ever met back around 15 years ago. I told him many times that I was living life vicariously through him, whether it was traveling through Europe or watching him tackle the rapids. Good man taken way too soon.

5 Likes

The man was an absolute legend. RIP, Michael.

8 Likes

Mike was one of the first RBs I ever met. We met several times over the years, traded and he was one of those people who made RB great back in the day. Mjames, 3/4ths, Acrodizer, R.I.P. good friend.

10 Likes

I’m so sad. Love you, Michael. RIP

13 Likes

RIP MJ. Huge loss for RB.

9 Likes

Damn, unbelievable. We hung out several times way back when. A huge loss.

9 Likes

I have met him once in Windischeschenbach, we were both enjoying a Zoigl and talked a bit. What a sad loss.

7 Likes

Huge huge bummer. Another RB OG taken too soon. RIP MJ

9 Likes

A true legend has left us and I’m happy I got to meet him and share few beers in Copenhagen a few years back. His travelling reports and pictures from Franconia was of great inspiration. RIP Michael James.

9 Likes

Took a tragedy of this magnitude to bring me back where it all started.

Very sad, unfortunate and untimely.

He will be missed.

19 Likes

Add To RateBeer

Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Add An Event

Manage Your Account

Add Premium
Edit Profile

RateBeer Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter, RateBeer Weekly, a must for understanding new people, places and beers in worldwide craft culture.

Stay Connected

2000- 2017 © RateBeer, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service