RateBeer Forums

Rest in peace, Michael James

RIP to a good dude that taught me a lot.

6 Likes

Nothing I can add other than this man transcended Ratebeer. Sought out the unique, terroir for beer and life I suppose. He’s one of those rare people and I will greatly miss his insight and personality in this site

5 Likes

Hi all,

Most of you don’t know me, Mike and I were together from 2009 to 2014, and friends after. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for these messages, I’ve been sharing them with his family. This community and the friends he made here he had were incredibly important to him. I used to have to drag him off his computer all the time when he was working on the maps, which were his obsession. The site and all of you inspired him to explore and learn as a beer drinker, traveler, and developer.

He had a lot of different interests, and it sounds like there are a lot of celebrations in the works. Some of his disc golf friends here in Colorado started a fundraiser for a memorial bench and tournament in his name if anyone is interested in donating.

Take care of yourselves and each other,
Diane

22 Likes

Several years ago, t0rin0, adnielsen, and I were over at MJ’s place as part of a two week long tick fest Bobby and I were doing in Colorado. Aaron drove us to Cheyenne, WY one day (a relatively short drive from his house in Ft. Collins) and we scored some regional malt liquor ticks. We brought those, along with other crappy Colorado “craft” beers to Mike’s place and decided to open them as part of a “tasting” at the end of the night.

Mike eventually gave up and stopped hate-rating all of these awful beers we brought and just started drinking Bitburger cans he already had at home.

Finally got a chance to have a good, fresh, Bitburger today in Mike’s honor.

15 Likes

Very Sad news another great gone

3 Likes

Wow truly horrible. Another OG gone way too soon. Judging by his social media accounts he lived a very full life in his short 4 decades.

3 Likes

3/4 did a lot of work on this site that most people don’t know about. His contributions were legion. But I’ll remember him most just as a crazy beer lover just like all of us. He was really nice one on one and had a ton of knowledge.

8 Likes

Seeing this news this morning and am heart sick. Michael was an incredible person and will truly be missed.

3 Likes

Tonight all raise a glass to #michaeljames19792019

7 Likes

I have a Kellerbier chilling in the fridge as we speak!

3 Likes

Moscow mule count?

1 Like

I’m gonna drink 3/4 of my bottle of Avery Fimbulvvinter and drink the rest tomorrow.

5 Likes

These are shocking news… RIP! :disappointed:

2 Likes

I love you Mike! Thanks for getting me to take a second look at simple, pretty lagers like this.

11 Likes

Man, sorry to hear that. 3Fourths was a name I remember when I first got on the site 10 years ago. Sad news.

1 Like

Diane,

Thanks for your post. I’m in the beer tour business. I knew Mike only through the internet, but we were friends. We shared lots great information about beer and Franconia. I was a fan of his awesome photography and passion for all things beer. I extend to you my heartfelt condolences for your loss. He shall be remembered. I hope you are well. Take care–Stu Stuart

4 Likes

3/4 was always 4/3 interesting. Only met him briefly, but fun and a great example of this site and the friendships it has helped build.
cheers john

3 Likes

Man, sorry to hear that

So sorry to hear about this. Mike James was an icon to me; An early influence, a member of the Rate Beer Hall Of Fame 2004 Class, someone I traded with numerous times on RB, a frequent and influential contributor to the forums, a guy who knew his coding and statistics, and someone I looked up to as a mentor. Life is so fucking fragile, and it hurts me so fucking bad to see great people like Mike pass away after BBB63 (Mike Maynard), but let’s all remember him and his contributions to RateBeer. Mike and I didn’t always agree, and we often tangled like two bulls in a ring, but we always ultimately saw each others’ position. Mike traded me my first New Glarus fruit beers back in June 2004. May he rest in peace, and he will always be in my thoughts.

4 Likes

Sad news. Just heard about it. Shows how out of touch we are these days.

Add To RateBeer

Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Add An Event

Manage Your Account

Add Premium
Edit Profile

RateBeer Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter, RateBeer Weekly, a must for understanding new people, places and beers in worldwide craft culture.

Stay Connected

2000- 2017 © RateBeer, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service