Rest in peace, Michael James

Ohhhh my, saw a post on FB, that almost passed me by till i saw the RB reference. RB has been a MASSIVE part of life the last 10+ years,. Losing a recognisable name is always a wrench, and hes one of those name that resonate. He contributed so much to that joy. RIP man. You were one of us. It would have been an delight to meet you, a delight that has passed us by

11 Likes

RIP - never had the privilege of meeting him but he was eloquent person who was a positive presence in the scene.

8 Likes

MJ brought joy to my life and for that Iā€™m so grateful.

15 Likes

Only met him on the forum, but appreciated his many contributions. A sad day - perhaps a day to raise a glass of one of his favourites to his memory:
https://www.ratebeer.com/user/6533/beer-ratings/1/4/

5 Likes

Wow this is tragic. RIP Michael.

7 Likes

I just want to say, itā€™s really nice to hear from all the other old-time RBians, especially those of you who havenā€™t dropped in for a while.

16 Likes

Quite the tragedy. One of the real old school people on here. Condolences to all who were close with him.

7 Likes

I just met Michael quickly at RBSG 2012, but he was always one of the fundamental members of this community for me and a voice of reason. Truly tragic.

8 Likes

One of the few users here whose views and ratings I regarded highly. This is really sad news, strength and condolences to his family and loved ones.

7 Likes

Thank you for the post Marko, and to Chad for letting me know by phone yesterday morning. The news was shockingly sad. Michael James was one of the siteā€™s and communityā€™s greatest contributors.

Weā€™ve all benefitted from his extensive code contributions here ā€“ he built out Places after coming in knowing nothing about the language. Soon after he was coding at a very high level. His additions were received very well by the community with which he was intimately involved. He had very high standards for his contributions and he was a pleasure to work with.

One of the most important things about Mike that I saw here was his personal evolution from a snarky troublemaker by his own admission to someone with self-respect who was honest and sincere. He earned my trust and respect in a big way. This is just one of the ways he came to develop himself as a person.

Iā€™m so glad others on the site got to spend time with him in his beloved Franconia. Iā€™m glad also that he introduced us all to Gaenstaller and we were able to get the family and beer out to RateBeer Best. He did so much as an enthusiast and champion of those beers he loved and encouraged us to visit for the experience.

While Mike had definitely grown more serious and responsible, heā€™d still retained his sense of humour. Heā€™d changed his username to 3fourths in reference to Mike Gundyā€™s (Oklahoma State) interview in which he chided reporters for picking on his players and said, ā€œIā€™m* a man ! Iā€™m 40 ! Iā€™m not-- Iā€™m not a kid. Write something about me.ā€ He meant that at age 30, he was 3/4ths a man.

While we communicated less in the last few years due to our code relationship waning, it was good to see that he continued to challenge and develop himself as a person. Mike died at 40, and it was way too young. He was definitely 4/4ths and then some.

Michael James, youā€™ll be fondly and respectfully remembered! You left far too soon. To you, Mike, and a life well lived!

I am personally looking for more details about memorial services. Please message me if you know any more.

35 Likes

Never met him, donā€™t think that I ever interacted with him but itā€™s obvious that he was held in the highest regard. Best wishes go out to his family and friends.

6 Likes

Did not converse with him much. Usually it came about in a jab or two he was throwing in the forums, but I did have the pleasure of meeting him. By all accounts a great dude and gone way too young. RIP 3fourths. You will be missed.

10 Likes

A great guy and one of the biggest ever RateBeer contributors. RIP MJ and thought to his friends and family.

10 Likes

I used to hang out with Mike, Ernest, Aaron and a few others Ratebeerians at various Colorado festivals. I was wondering what he was up to recently, this is sad news indeed! He was a great dude!

10 Likes

Heard the news this morning and just havenā€™t been sure what to think.

I honestly thought Mike was an asshole when I first started reading and posting on RateBeer, but he eventually became a friend. I learned a lot from him and he helped to inspire me to try to travel more and drink more pale lagers. He cared a lot about this site and the people on it.

Iā€™m glad that I got the chance to know and spend time with him over the years. I will miss getting random messages from him.

This is still hard to believe/process. Will miss you, Mike!

14 Likes

I only got to hang out with Mike a few times a number of years ago, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with him. He was a super funny guy with a very engaging personality. I hate that this happened.

6 Likes

MJ is a legend. I remember butting heads with him many times when we first met on Ratebeer, but over the years we found our similarities. I always loved talking Basque sidra and Franconia with him. He paved the way on Ratebeer in those areas. He will be missed.

ā€¦and all you other guys out there whoā€™ve been around and enjoyed this scene with me, stay safe.

16 Likes

RIP to a RB legend

7 Likes

This has been difficult to process. truly sad.

6 Likes

This is absolutely devastating news. A truly tremendous loss.

10 Likes