Retired beers for a brewery now being unrateable

I thought retired beers still counted towards one’s overall rating totals. I’m not sure why but with Honky Tonk brewing their retired beers are now listed as unrateable for some reason.

https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/honky-tonk-brewing-co/23234/

Anyone know what’s going on with this? I specifically had the Simple Man pale ale a few times out last year in the summer and fall. I get it if the brewer has now retired the beer, but I wasn’t aware of losing a rate when a beer gets retired.

Thanks

Will

1 Like

Are you sure? Your rating exists, and if I had it the system would let me rate it:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rate/444517/

Looks fine to me to.

Looks like the unrateable mark has been removed and my rate count was restored. Thank you for the help!

Cheers,
Will

1 Like

The current rules is that retired rates count toward rate counts but that retired beers should not be reviewable. It’s just the way the rules were set long ago.

What about entering a backlog? Or drinking an aged and retired beer and wanting to review it? I feel these beers should be reviewable, but also clearly labelled as retired.

5 Likes

Retired beers are not rateable? Since when? I’ve rated plenty of beers in the past that they were labeled “retired”.

7 Likes

What?!? SInce when?

You must have misunderstood the whole “don’t add long-retired beers” thing… That was a rule. This was NEVER a rule.

@Oakes please confirm

7 Likes

yeah, that was NEVER the rule. And would potentially be the death knell for this site for a lot of the more serious raters if it was.

5 Likes

As @Borresteijn says, what if I have a backlog?
And what if I beer gets retired according to the sites rules (one year without being in production I think it is) but then it gets brewed again? Will we have to send corrections and feedback and post on the forums so that it gets edited and we can finally rate it? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Maybe a notification saying YOU ARE ABOUT TO REVIEW AN OUT OF PRODUCTION BEER before rating would be better than blocking it?

4 Likes

This exactly.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s never been the rule or the intention of the rule.

I have rated and reviewed countless retired beers over my 3 1/2 years on the site. So If I buy a vintage of a beer now, I have to drink it within a year in order to rate it? That’s ridiculous. I don’t understand the logic behind making retired beers unrateable/unreviewable.

3 Likes

This would be a total deal breaker for me.

+1

2 Likes

Just commenting to add my +1 to say making retired beers unrateable is a stupid decision and it was definitely never a rule in the 3 years I’ve been here.
Looks like you’ve got half your admins complaining about this decision above joet, should be enough heat to at least reconsider this move surely?

Also @willisread for what it’s worth I saw your original post here before anyone replied and don’t worry you’re not crazy you weren’t seeing things, all their retired beers were indeed set to unrateable (and they had the little U icon next to them), as far as i could tell they seemed to be the only brewery affected by it so I assume it was done by the brewer themselves or an admin, and by the time others replied it had been fixed hence everyone else’s confusion.

1 Like

Indeed. I looked up some retired beers and I was able to rate them all, so this seems to be not as much of a conspiracy as some think it is.

Whew… I hope this was just some random bug followed by a misunderstanding…

1 Like

but we are admins, so it would be good if a non-admin could double check and confirm that retired beers are still rateable.

1 Like

They are. I tried random ones and also some from the brewery linked in the OP and was able to write a full rating.

2 Likes