Rules Beer Pictures

What is the etiquette around submitting beer pictures?

I understood that pictures should clearly readable pictures of the label, pump clip, etc. Not just the beer in a glass.

However more and more I’m finding the quality of the images is so poor that the image is not readable, even when they are not a user photo. Also I have submitted photos that are readable, but haven’t been uploaded or instead of the one i have taken being used, one has been chosen from online which can’t be read. I have also submitted pictures when beers are rebranded, that have never been updated.

Should new pictures be submitted for ones like the one below that are unreadable? What about when branding changes, should new images be submitted? Is there a maximum file size?

imagehttps://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_250,c_limit/beer_532912.jpg

2 Likes

I submitted this but not changed.

1 Like

Pictures are hosted on a external service and it can take a while before the image updates on the site.

1 Like

What’s the expected turnaround? The one above is only 19 days, other have been longer. Also doesn’t explain why readable images are replaced by poor resolution unreadable ones? Is this file size?

1 Like

Well thats certainly longer than it used to take, max was a few days before.
Is there an issue with picture upload @joet ?

I have normaly seen that when I upload picture it is there within just few hours.
And I would say yes the picture should be clear, but the “bad” sample you showed is still much better than just a beer in a glass.

1 Like

I agree better to have something meaningful, than just a beer in a glass that could be anything.

Well, I notice that the pic that I upload always looks better before it gets posted on the beer’s page. Must be some serious compressing going on.

Edit: until you click on it. Then it looks fine.

:+1:

1 Like

I’ve emailed pics from the link on the new style page and emails bounce back as server has no room. Old style rating pages still work as far as I know.

2 Likes

I’ve had that error today, from both the old and the new pages.

1 Like

Pics don’t get updated for a while now. The best thing is to upload a pic before someone else does it if it’s still possible.

2 Likes

That, indeed, sounds typical like Ratebeer.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, since it’s likely my pictures you’re responding to. I honestly don’t care. The fact that so few people actually contribute to this site anymore, I post my pictures of beer until they can be replaced, if ever. I can stop if people would rather have a blank image than the one I post, but mostly it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Continue to upload pics as I will likewise.

2 Likes

There was likely a temporary server issue. Whatyadrinkin pics were all gone, but they’re back now. Suspect all image software is tied in one bundle.

I’m a big believer in any picture is better than no picture. Just wanted to know if we should be submitting picture if 1) the res of the original is poor, 2) if the original doesn’t show the beer label, or 3) if the branding changes.

The reason I asked is as images I send to change pictures never get updated, and images i add often get changed to others before they are posted. This isn’t a new thing or related to recent changes on the site, it has happened for ages.

Beggers can’t be choosers at the present. Post your pics. No one else will.

2 Likes

Simple explanation: people are uploading thumbnail images instead of grabbing the full size image.

Although Ratebeer downsizes the image too small in my opinion, it is still perfectly readable if the full size image was uploaded to begin with.

I don’t know about others, but whenever I upload an image I always grab the full size from either the brewer’s website or their facebook/instagram/twitter. Failing that, an actual photo of the clip such as the one you included in your second post is ideal. If that’s not available then I simply don’t bother as I don’t think it’s worth it to upload anything else.

And yes image replacement has been broken for years apparently. Even admins aren’t able to replace them. It seems that once an image is uploaded that’s final, I don’t think that’s intentional, it’s just that joet never fixed it :confused:

1 Like

Hmm, I only upload pics that I take myself. Maybe I am in the minority of those who do that?

2 Likes