Saint George's Day 2020

I will only be drinking English Beers on the 23rd April, mostly at home!

Anyone else planning on a celebration of Englishness?

As a side note: I met my wife on 23rd April 1976, married her a year later (May 1977); still together now.

<*))))))><

23rd of april is also “The Day of German Beer” as on 23 April 1516 the Reinheitsgebot was proclaimed…

1 Like

You should be drinking Efes.

1 Like

Who me? @beardedavenger, do we really know if he was English or Turkish (so much fake news around since the middle ages)?

Obviously the dragon was Welsh, or maybe Scottish/Irish? Either way he didn’t stop them from rinsing the English economy over the years!

<*))))))><

ISO Georgian beers. :slight_smile:

Apparently he was Greek. Do the Turks how this? Anyway, I’ve told the Mrs we are celebrating with kebabs.

St George was from the Lebanon wasn’t he? Unfortunately I’m fresh out of Lebanese beers so English will have to do…

@beardedavenger and @jjsint. As long as he wasn’t Welsh, Scottish or Irish it’s fine by me.

I had no beer yesterday and I am not drinking again until Thursday 23rd (a whole three days without beer!), it’s something to look forward too, rather than boozing every day.

<*))))))><

1 Like

It’s here!

I am excited, even if no one else is.

<*))))))><

Feels the same as the last 30 or so days if I’m honest !

Do something different then, make it a day to remember somehow.

<*))))))><

I’ll do work naked then

3 Likes

I’m working from home today, so I may join in a few celebratory brews.

1 Like

The Turkish take-over of Anatolia/Asia Minor didn’t kick off until after the Battle of Manzikert in 1071. Before then it was Greek-speaking, and going back before Islam so was that whole area including Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, etc. - it was part of the Eastern Roman Empire, which became the Byzantine Empire.

Still, drinking to a Greek-speaking Syrian in the Roman army and living in modern-day Turkey seems like a good way to stick two fingers up to the jingoists and Little Englanders. :beers:

2 Likes

Happy St George’s day everyone. I will celebrate later with a beer or two.

1 Like

And Cheers to you too @BeerViking!

<*))))))><

1 Like

Here are the four ENGLISH BEERS I had yesterday, well the water and malts were ENGLISH, some of the hops may have been from Johnny Foreigners!

Already posted them on another thread, but as the site is so quiet these days I thought I’d repost them.

Devonshire!

Yorkshire Git!

Manchurian Git!

Norfolkshire!

<*))))))><

1 Like