Scotland trip August 2023

Day 5 Inverness

We took a little detour through Forres, following @BlackHaddock guidance. Visited a destillery (Benromach), unfortunately we cant make the tour because they dont accept kids under 18. In our wayvto Inverness we stopped by Speyside Brewery where we bought 3 of their beers.

Arrived to Inverness and the first stop was Black Isle Bar.
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/black-isle-bar/64725/

26 taps available. I ordered 6 thirds and move into the new Uileb Heist Brewery (5 taps available and an amazing place. Lot of money invested):

18 new beers and 6 new breweries.

Day 6 Loch Ness

A mere 6 new beers today and 2 new breweries.

Stopped by Benleva Hotel for tick Hanging Tree but unfortunately the bar dont open until 16.00 and we arrived by 15.00 after a hike around the Loch Ness.

This weekend we will be around the Isle of Skye.

Cheers.

11 Likes

The UHeist place wasnt quite ready when i visited in late February

Think they were aiming for Easter opening

1 Like

Yeah. They opened the place and kegged first beers late April. Started with 2 core beers, now their core is 5 beers (2 pales, 1 IPA, 1 lager and 1 stout). No sours yet.

2 Likes

Day 7 and 8: Isle of Skye.

First day we explored the northern part of the Isle. In our way to the Storr trail we stopped by “The Misty Bottle”.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/misty-bottle/92973/

4 new brewery ticks available for me. Beautiful place, friendly service, we talked with the owner for about 15 mins about beers and cheese. Really friendly chap.

We arrived to Storr and did the climb to the Lookout Point. Very beautiful sights, my 6 years old son climbed faster than me.

Stopped at Cuillin brewery on our way back. No taps on the site, so I bought all the bottles available (tickers gonna tick).

On the second day we met the “midges” during our hike through the Fairy Pools. Visited Dunvegan Castle and Neist Point as well.

I tried to tick Plockton Brewery in a Bar near our Airbnb that normally stocks some bottles and kegs but it was not available on our visit, so I guess i will need to comeback some day.

14 new beers, 7 new breweries. Slow pace but enjoyed Isle Of Skye a lot.

Cheers,
Alex.

11 Likes

Day 9: Glenfinnan and Oban

We arrived from Skye to Mallaig at 10.30. Stopped by The Tea Garden for a new brewery tick but the waitress told me that their license only allow her to sell alcohol after 11.00 so another brewery lost (Knoydart Brewing).

In Glennfinnan we did the hike of the viaduct, old station, lake and monument but unfortunately the steam train didnt work that day…some problem with the locking doors. My harry potter fan boy was not happy but at least we enjoyed the views

We arrived to Oban just in time for a couple of pints at the local Wetherspoons before dinner.

12 new beers and 2 new breweries.

Day 10 and 11: Isle of Arran.

First day in the island we did a long walk searching stones and waterfalls.

Just 1 new beer and 1 new brewery.

Second day was more relaxed. Visited Arran Brewery at Brodick, 5 new ticks available for me. I found a couple of new breweries and even a new scottish region (Shetland) at a local supermarket.

10 new beers and 3 new breweries. Will leave the island tomorrow. Dumfries next.

Cheers,
Alex.

9 Likes

Day 12: Galloway Forest Park.

Relaxed day around the Forest Park. Stopped by Maybole Abbey and Dunure Castle on our way from Arran to New Galloway.

Our Airbnb host, Margaret, was very kind and when we arrive to her place the fridge was loaded with 10 local beers (5 from Five Kingdoms and 5 from Sulwath Breweries). So thats 2 new scottish breweries and a new scottish region for me.

Before dinner I popped in a local pub in St Johns Town of Dalry (The Clachan Inn). 4 casks available, 2 new ticks for me.

After dinner I ticked all the leftovers from the previous days.

19 new beers. 3 new scottish breweries.

Day 13 and 14: Glasgow.

We arrived to Glasgow friday morning. After explore city centre, Kelvingrove Park and Glasgow University I convinced my wife to have lunch at Innis & Gunn Ashton Lane, because it was listed as a brewpub here, in ratebeer,
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/beer-kitchen-ashton-lane-innis-and-gunn/70876/

Sadly, the waitress said that the places is no longer a brewpub. All the beers were standard Innis & Gunn. So, no new brewery and probably the worst meal all the trip long.

Before dinner we come back to the city centre. Lot of ambiance and events related with the UCI Cycling World Championship. Sadly the main elite event of the day took place at Stirling, no Glasgow. But we met and talk to a couple of members of the spanish national team.

Before dinner checked in Shilling Beer Co. (Another new scottish brewery) and The Pot Still.

Was a bit difficult to have dinner with my son on a friday night. Almost all the places denied him the entry. So we ended in a Wetherspoons, eating fast because he must leave the pub before 21.00.

Scotland Stats Pre August Trip:
Total beers: 140
Total breweries: 40
Regions visited: 1 (Lothian)
Regions rated: 11/15

Now, finally at home, is time to enter the backlog and update stats.
Cheers
Alex.

11 Likes

Well done! Trip sounds amazing!

1 Like

Sounds a great trip, many thanks for all the trip reports & pics, it’s made me very jealous!

2 Likes

Yes, thank you for the photo’s and reports, looks and sounds like you’ve had a blast.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Alex, great photos and descriptions there of your Scotland journey :+1:

1 Like

Amazing trip I’d love to do very similar someday. My family trips I usually only get squeeze in little bits of beer here or there.

1 Like

Great trip, loved hearing about it and seeing the photos

1 Like