Should tap always be a separate entry vs bottle/can for certain styles?

I know this is a longshot, but just for fun then: should we have different entries for tap vs bottle/can?

For example, styles that need a bit of aging or could use extra carbonation, like saisons, are imo always better from bottle than tap. Whereas styles needed to be drunk fresh, like IPAs and kellers usually benefit from tap.

What do you think?

• Yes, always
  • Yes, but only for certain styles
  • No, but we can make exceptions
  • No, never

0 voters

I think that rather than small bottles/cans vs big cans (kegs), we should go with a category for real ale - like Unibroue and apparently many Sierra Nevadas. That could keep the admins occupied.

Cask beer fundamentally changes from day 1 to day 2 to day 5. Should we have different entries for this? I see what you are saying, but where do we stop?

Make it simple. Live beer vs. Poisoned Beer.

I see where your question is coming from, now you’ve retired writing actual ratings. Lazy b’tard :smile:Because I’d say: write it in your rating, if you’ve had it from tap or bottle or can or cask or growler or growler or hand-bottled or plastic jug.

1 Like

Read again, 500+ big boy ratings this year :stuck_out_tongue:

For the whole cask / keg / bottle story: Yes.

In cases (like it happens in Franconia sometimes) that the keg is unfiltered and the bottle is filtered: Yes, imho filtering is part of the recipe.

Usually (i.e., when bottle and keg are filtered and pasteurized or unfiltered and unpasteurized): No.

This might be unfair to some beers (cough Germany cough), but that’s just how it is. I also imagine it could be really hard to separate the already existing entries, because many people don’t write down how the beer was served.

I try to remember to note bottle/can/draught.

Bottle = can = keg

The only differences are level of carbon dioxide poisoning and temperature storage.

Why differentiate?

I do differentiate since the site is set up for that, but why not go for the simpler approach of

non-poisoned/dead vs. live?