So how did folks do with regions for the rest of the British Isles?

Wales was a full set as expected.
Northern Ireland 5/6 … missing Fermanagh… I did wonder if this one could prove awkward.
Ireland I have 19/26 … can confirm there is an active brewer in every county … I did think there could be one or two blanks here !

3 Likes

Glad to know there’s a brewery in each county. I too was concerned about the more rural areas of Ireland!

Disappointed with mine though not unexpected in the slightest as it’s not something I really bothered with in the past. I’ve really only focused on drinking a couple of breweries in each country that I’m a fan of.

Wales - 6/8 - only missing Dyfed and Powys, neither of which are difficult to obtain so this will be easy to complete when I can be bothered.
N Ireland - 2/6 - Really just Boundary here. And a random beer from Farmageddon to tick off Co Down.
Ireland - 10/26 - Honestly I’m surprised I have as many as 10. Whiplash is pretty much the only brewery I seek out from Ireland.

Wales is easily doable but a trip to Ireland looks like the only way to tick a lot of those counties off! Gives me an objective for the future I suppose but I’ll be honest it’s not a high priority for me.

1 Like

I have to admit I am not that bothered about these new regions. It’s enough hassle getting my English and US regions ticks, etc.

Wales - to my surprise it’s a full sweep. Pretty much all my purchases of Welsh beers have been random new ticks available in whichever pub I was in.

Ireland - 8/26 but I rarely pick up any Irish beers.

Northern Ireland - 2/6 - but again don’t tend to pick up many, Although I do note that of my 14 Irish ticks, 10 were ticked during 2019 which was obviously my year for Northern Irish beer. Dominated by Boundary and Farmageddon.

1 Like

I have done fairly well, full set for Wales, one missing from Northern Ireland (Fermanagh), Ireland has me sat on the half-way line with 13 out of the 26.

A cancelled drunken Christening in County Mayo last April would most likely have seen my Irish totals a bit higher, as we were due to stay in Galway before the ‘Do’ and I had planned to find as many new breweries beers as I could.

England and Scotland fully accounted for too, so just the Emerald Isle to get the full set, not a high priority to be honest; but it might be fun trying.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Wales - got all 8 as expected (only my second “complete” country after England). Although West Glamorgan is lagging badly with a mere 3 rates (clearly need a family holiday on the Gower!).

Norn - 4/6, obviously missing Tyrone & Fermanagh, can’t see me getting those anywhen soon.

Ireland - 7/26, plenty to aim for here, although I doubt I’ll ever get anywhere near the full set.

1 Like

Wales 8/8
Northern Ireland 3/6
Ireland 12/26 - can hopefully make more inroads here as before lockdown all the Irish bars here (we have quite a few) started getting more and more “new” beers in I never seen before - just hope that will continue.

1 Like

Update: soon to be 11 for Ireland. I checked Irish beers available when doing a beer order today and found one of them (Rye River) is from Co Kildare which I need.

3 Likes

6/8 Wales (have 7 in fridge), 3/6 Northern Ireland, 11/26 Ireland. Pretty disappointed in my Irish numbers. Was surprised I hadn’t completed Wales, but that easily correctable.

1 Like

Like the new regions, and I am surprised how many regions I have tried.

Ireland 13 of 26
Northern Ireland - 4 of 6
Wales - 8 of 8

All were higher than expected especially Ireland.

1 Like

Full House for Wales. 18/26 for Ireland and just Fermanagh for the full NI set like a few on here.

Might try and get a trip over that way later in the year if rules allow

3 Likes

Wales 3/8
N Ireland 3/6
Ireland 9/26

Still have 7 England and 8 Scotland left as well

Plenty still to find. Excited about ticking these off in a sad stato way!

2 Likes

Full set for Wales.
Missing Shetland in Scotland. (Which if I recall was bc it wasn’t available at the Edinburgh Real Ale Festival)
2/6 Northern Ireland
A dismal 9/26 for Ireland which actually isn’t shocking considering how few ticks we got on our trip in 2009. Out of around 60 a decent number of those are from UK and Europe. I suspect the availability of Irish craft products has substantially increased since then.

1 Like

Yeah … the number of breweries in Ireland really picked up 2015/16/17/18 time

England 46/46
Ireland 15/26
Northern Ireland 3/6
Scotland 15/15
Wales 8/8

So it’s concentration time on the Ireland / N.Ireland front.

1 Like

The only reason I have a County Tyrone rate is because a certain Chris brought a bottle of this https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pokertree-dark-nirvana/285576/97853/ to the 2015 Cotteridge Gathering.

I suspect a few others can thank @Beersiveknown for their one and only County Tyrone rate too!

<*))))))><

yes

1 Like

A not-unexpected poor return for me from the new regions, just 3 from Wales and 3 from Ireland, nowt from Northern Ireland. Leaves me with some improvements to be made to my ‘sad stato’ (TM @dragnet101) British Isles numbers:

England = 44/46 (failed to complete this by Easter as hoped)
Scotland = 6/15
Wales = 3/8
Northern Ireland = 0/6
Ireland = 3/26

And still to tick off Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man - latter should be doable next visit to Chester, at the Okell’s pub by the river (assuming it reopens).

Have to say I do enjoy the Regions ticking challenge, adds a certain level of spice to beer hunting.

2 Likes

Not sure who Chris is…:thinking:

Fermanagh easy enough with inishmacsaint, want me to send you one?

I’m only missing West Meath on the whole island of Ireland and that’s just because dead centre opened after I stopped rating

1 Like