South Korea split

Nine provinces for a split? This the best way here?

North Chungcheong,
South Chungcheong,
Gangwon, Gyeonggi ,
North Gyeongsang,
South Gyeongsang,
North Jeolla,
South Jeolla,
Jeju Special Self-Governing Province

승인 됨 :rofl:

word

What about Seoul? From what I read on Wikipedia it’s not actually part of the Gyeonggi province that surrounds it. Should it be added as a separate region? Seems like it’s called “Seoul Special City” or 서울특별시 in Korean. Presumably we can just call it “Seoul” on RB if added?

This page suggests it has the same administrative power as the provinces. There are also 7 other cities listed there which were split from provinces.

I’m not familiar with the country so I have no opinion on this one, just pointing that out for discussion.

When in doubt, it’s worthwhile to see how ISO has done it:

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I was getting at, they have 17 special cities AND provinces there. I believe we should follow suit and use the same.
After some cursory searching of our own database, UT, and Google, I believe there are breweries in every region. So I’m happy with this split.

But again, it could be useful if someone actually familiar with the country could weigh in, at least to affirm this list of 17, or otherwise suggest a different split.

If we do go ahead with those 17 how should they be named? There are 3 options, for the most part the English and Korean are the same aside from the “North” and “South” designations:

English
Seoul
Busan
Daegu
Daejeon
Gwangju
Incheon
Ulsan
North Chungcheong
South Chungcheong
Gangwon
Gyeonggi
North Gyeongsang
South Gyeongsang
North Jeolla
South Jeolla
Jeju
Sejong

Korean (local)
Seoul
Busan
Daegu
Daejeon
Gwangju
Incheon
Ulsan
Chungbuk
Chungnam
Gangwon
Gyeonggi
Gyeongbuk
Gyeongnam
Jeonbuk
Jeonnam
Jeju
Sejong

Korean (official)
Seoul-teukbyeolsi
Busan-gwangyeoksi
Daegu-gwangyeoksi
Daejeon-gwangyeoksi
Gwangju-gwangyeoksi
Incheon-gwangyeoksi
Ulsan-gwangyeoksi
Chungcheongbuk-do
Chungcheongnam-do
Gangwon-do
Gyeonggi-do
Gyeongsangbuk-do
Gyeongsangnam-do
Jeollabuk-do
Jeollanam-do
Jeju-teukbyeoljachido
Sejong-teukbyeoljachisi

2 Likes

The Korean local seems most sensible.

3 Likes

Ok so this list, the Korean local version? I should point out by this point that we seem to have gotten away from our previous policy of doing english names. I’m not advocating one way or another, but certain ones like Italy were definitely not done in many cases, and done in others. Starting to seem haphazard, but whatever.

1 Like