Stat Attack – 32 – Russia (1st July 2022)

Just two macro ticks on the yellow app for me, one from Baltika, the other from ABInbev Efes. I’ve definitely had more beer from Russia than that.

I visited Russia circa 2010, taking in St Petersburg, Moscow and travelling from there to China by rail. Absolutely loved both cities and certainly would have gone back if they hadn’t gone full fascist. The young Russians I met on that trip were hatching plans to leave the country even then, at a time when things were relatively good for them.

I’ve also worked a fair bit with Russian diplomats which has been, shall we say, a mixed bag. It’s hard to see Russia heading back in a liberal direction again without a significant amount of blood being shed first. Very sad.

2 Likes

4 for me. Two macro lagers and two craft options.

1 Like

never been, and obviously unlikely to any time soon. up until Covid I’d had about a dozen mostly macro but in the last couple of years had around 140 from Beerdome etc - some absolutely great beers, and I do feel sorry for the brewers there, many of whom are against the ‘special operation’ - sorrynotsorry but I like the smoothie sours and had some excellent ones from Russia, AF Brew, Paradox, Brewlok, Bakunin, Zagovor, Selfmade, and Black Cat make up over 100 of my ticks. I took advantage of the Beer Republic offer in Feb where they sold of Russian stock 4 for 3 and donated profits to Ukraine

1 Like

Got a bit behind with these…

Just one rate from Russia - Baltika 6 Porter, which I rated at 3.9. This means that surprisingly Russia is my joint top rated country (tied with Nigeria) - I suspect the average score for both would drop significantly with further beer rates from them!

Never been to the place, although I always fancied a trip to St Petersberg. Did once meet someone who had travelled the full length of the Trans-Siberian Express - he said it was the experience of a lifetime & all the Russian people he met along the way were wonderful, friendly people. Makes you wonder how Putin turned out like he did…

Obviously there will be no more Russian rates or visits from me until Putin & his cronies let Ukraine’s people determine their own future.

4 Likes

One year on and I bet nothing has changed for most of us!

<*))))))><

1 Like

I am bored so I will update this ‘Stat Twat’:

This is how the top 10 has changed, no one has moved up or down. I have only added 162 rakes due to a combination of taking a number of months off beer and generally drinking imports and travelling a bit (Kyrgyzstan, UK) instead of focusing on Russian stuff.

Biggest raters of Russian beers vs. July 2022

NAME COUNT % COUNTRY
1 alex_leit 4903 (+425) 43% (-1%)
2 sharkydodson 3690 (+431) 32% (-)
3 vinivini 3662 (+720) 32% (+3%)
4 vladeath 2089 (+444) 18% (+2%)
5 YantarCoast 1298 (+162) 11% (-)
6 DSG 718 (+67) 6% (-)
7 Marduk 553 (+3) 5% (-)
8 FatPhil 486 (+2) 4% (-)
9 zvikar 468 (+39) 4% (-)
10 kto 335 (-) 3% (-)

As for raters inside the country, TheWhaleNorman has dramatically moved into 4th position :grinning:, overtaking MrGrigg182 who rated 0 beers in the past 12 months, while the bottom half of the table is dead as a dodo :sleeping::

Name Ratings
1 sharkydodson 5749 (+549)
2 YantarCoast 4296 (+423)
3 vladeath 3673 (+691)
4 TheWhaleNorman 591 (+105)
5 MrGrigg182 497 (-)
6 artiredbirds 455 (-)
7 Rammer 397 (-)
8 Werthergoethe 358 (-)
9 Perun 356 (-)
10 Dzhigga 349 (-)

Special stats mention: vinivini has now racked up the most brewery ratings (271 vs. my 240 a year back, I only have 260 now), while I still have the most regions (+1 at 62 out of 83).

So yep, nothing much has changed.

4 Likes