STATES / REGION for all countries

I’m currently doing places for Wales and Northern Ireland so no need to cover those. Cheers.

1 Like

@services I can no longer see highest raters of Colorado beer, the “C” page won’t show United States!

1 Like

Yep, can’t see Wales regions on lots of these pages as it’s vanished off the right hand side of the screen (using mobile/android). Possibly needs a redesign of the page to fix (drop-down to choose the country/region?).

1 Like

Luxembourg ? You must be joking ! Entire country has only 21 breweries with top rater having 143 beers. IMHO should come WAY behind Latvia (81 breweries, top rater 1198) and even the other Baltic States (Estonia 84/2121, Lithuania 78/1198)

2 Likes

What about yes please all?
They are doing a great job implementing country by country step by step.

2 Likes

I’d say the idea is all eventually, unless they really don’t want it. It’s still better to split countries with small scenes now. That way it’s less work than when they do blow up.

AKA many Latin American countries are really coming along, with Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Chile leading the way. But everytime I go back to Colombia or even Panama, Costa Rica, there are more and more local breweries.

1 Like

We just need some users from those necks of woods.

Also should we pause on future splits and work on maps for what we have first? Maybe a poll. Not that it’s up to us to allocate services time.

1 Like

Who knows… maybe adding regions to those smaller countries will attract users from them. I’m pretty sure beer geeks and stats nerds exist in every country. Can’t hurt to add them eventually anyway.

2 Likes

Whilst I’ve got no objections to other country splits in future, I too would prefer to get region maps in for all the existing ones first. Colouring in the maps is one of my favourite bits of the site as it gives you a bit more connection to where your beer comes from plus it’s something that’s a USP for the site.

If we are to have other region splits before the maps, I wonder if we should now focus on ones that help the site grow its userbase - I’m thinking India and China for the huge populations and potential growth in craft beer, plus also something for the African continent (presumably South Africa?).

But as I say, I’d prefer maps.

6 Likes

Definitely agree that those would be high up on next list. Trouble is most of North and lots of West Africa don’t have more than like one beer, if any. But South Africa should be on next roll out.

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves here, at least until we finish delegating these breweries and places.

I’m doing French small towns for places now.

Agreed about Africa. South Africa looks like it has a small but growing craft scene, and actually has a surprisingly massive number of breweries (many more than most countries we’ve split so far, and even more than India believe it or not) so would make sense. But pretty much every other country there would be low priority I imagine?

India and China both make sense simply due to their massive size. Bound to be breweries in every region, plus big cultural/language/etc differences between regions.

There’s numerous other European countries that would be good to see done too. But again, these and the others we’ve mentioned can wait for a bit. We should finish this current update first before we start bugging services about what to add next!

2 Likes

The only reason mention switching to maps is since now the bulk of work is for admins and and users Services can work on maps separately. Unless huge backlog of other bugs need attending. I just feel we are in golden age of actually getting things we’ve been requesting and who knows if rug will be pulled out at any moment.

4 Likes

Ya I mostly meant when talking about other countries to split. Maps would be great

Love what’s been done so far. I also think maps should be done before the next batch of country splits. No rush for either really though.

I’ve had some random Mexican and Irish beers today, it’s great to see my ‘regions’ grow a little, but would love a map so I can see where my beers have actually come from.

<*))))))><

PS. Greece and Portugal in the next batch please.

3 Likes

Great work all involved! France is my 2nd most rated country, so great to get the regions & help simplify the 1500+ breweries. Agree on maps for new regions next when time allows

3 Likes

Is there any hope that “Services - Ratebeer team” will come to life again? It seems like some of the Norwegian regions will be split. The new government has started a process that may lead to splitting these regions:
Troms og Finnmark
Vestfold og Telemark
Viken
Innlandet

The split has not yet been completed, but there will be changes during 2022.
Who can do the fix at RateBeer now? I can move breweries and places but I can not make new regions.

2 Likes

@joet can you advise?

2 Likes

I have a vague hope that now that Raj split all these countries last year for us, it at least showed that it was doable. I’m not sure what that means for Norway splitting up but Id imagine we wouldn’t do anything at least until it was official.

Meantime would love to see another round, Austria and such. I’m in Colombia now about to add a ton of breweries and it just makes more work later to not have them split in a country whose beer scene is growing so fast.

2 Likes