'strayaRona

Hello Australian RateBeer people.

Hope you are safe, not climbing the walls and have work and beer to the extent you want them.

Unlike many places there are signs that things might be looking better here (at least for round one of this). Even though things have been fine for me and family, that can’t come soon enough.

Any thoughts about life welcome. Any thoughts about the likelihood of the local industry getting through - or what we as drinkers might do to assist also good.

On that second note:

1. Bottle shops that aren’t big chains might be vulnerable. Perhaps we’ll all have to shop at Dan’s or worse, but for now I’m avoiding them.
  2. Some pubs are doing takeaways. The Local Taphouse is doing growlers for the first time in a fair while and I know other place are too. List those you know.
  3. Breweries are doing pickups and deliveries. I snuck into Red Hill and got old beers (and BBQ just before they had to shut). Look for info on brewery websites.
  4. Some breweries have apparently “rescued” languishing beer from kegs and canned them. Might be a bargain for you and cashflow for them. Carwyn’s quarantinnies box looked a bargain to me.
  5. Don’t drink too much whilst we’re locked down (says the guy who stopped work at 1 and had a few beers).

Look after yourselves.

2 Likes

It’s great how quickly brewers have got their packaged product online and set up delivery channels. I’m inclined towards pickup so as to reduce their delivery costs/hassles (and to get out of the house). Smart bars have moved to growler and squealer takeaways. Near & Far, Bonnie Bar & Beermash in Fitzroy/Collingwood are pouring excellent stuff at very reasonable prices.

I’m also waiting on my Quarantinnies from Carwyn. Contemplating a Range order soon too.

Facebook has become a rich source of info on new deals and delivery options. #keepinglocalalive

2 Likes

Lockdown is pretty much done even for Victoria and there were no local cases in the whole country today. Whilst there has been some controversy and there have been pretty serious mistakes we have done very well indeed relative to most places (Vietnam, NZ, Taiwan having done rather better).

Some observations about how beer has gone: there’s been lots of packaged beer and some growlers. Places that have been able to function as a bottle shop have been able to keep going, albeit at reduced capacity. Quite a few bars and pubs seem to be reopening and doing so with some confidence.

I tried to buy things from all places that I liked within 5 kms of home (Otter’s Promise, Acland, Blackheart & Sparrows, Elsternwick Finest Drop, the Taphouse after its hiatus etc) and in the last fortnight have gone a bit further afield (Slowbeer, Purvis, Grape and Grain). As well as the delivery of the virtual Carwyn Collaborational festival cans.

A couple of places I’d intended to go had signs in [edit] Septemberish demanding that the hospo sector be opened forthwith. I went elsewhere.

On the beer front, it seems that local is now more appealing than imported. 440ml hazy IPAs at ~$13 from the likes of Deeds, Range and Mr Banks seem to generate more excitement than even quality, in date stuff from the likes of Toppling Goliath or Cloudwater. To my eyes, that change happened mid year.

That said, there’s plenty of good beer around, both local and imported (Belgian, US, UK and even for a change, German) and certainly my concern up the top of this thread that we might all end up condemned to buying faux craft at Dan’s has prove quite unfounded.

[edit: said July/ August but on reflection was probably later]

1 Like

What’s surprised me more is the continuation of the trend of local brewers putting out really expensive bottles. I understand how Bridge Rd B2 Bomber, Wildflower and La Sirene can offer 750ml bottles in the $30-$50 range (even though I might not always be a taker), but how can Bad Shepherd (for example) be releasing five different BA stouts each at >$40?

Exciting new entrant of the year for me is Slow Lane.

1 Like