Style classification of beers

Sounds like a Kölsch.

1 Like

Hair2Anuss bier ?

As far as top VS bottom fermented yeast goes, I’m not sure that it is actually good way to separate styles at this point anyway. The yeasts have evolved a lot, and top VS bottom matters less. I’m pretty sure that you can make quite authentic lager from top fermented yeast and ale from bottom fermented yeast (aka you couldn’t say it on the blind tasting which is which). To me lager VS ale difference is actually more about lagering temperature, cold lagering gives the graininess I associate with lagers, warmer temperature gives the fruitiness I associate with ales.

That being said Põhjala’s Baltic porter’s still taste like ales and they obviously don’t lager them in “proper” lager temperature. I have no idea why they call some Baltic porters and others imperial porters and imperial stouts (they have brewed all 3 styles). Hell, they even made collab with Pinta, which was mix of Pinta’s bottom fermented Baltic porter and Põhjala’s top fermented…

3 Likes

My guess would be it’s a marketing thing - oh look, we made what we call a porter and we’re from the Baltics, yaaay.