Style updates are live

Not settled, more changes coming + automatic scripts “to fix” styles based on tags.

From what I understand: “Pale Ale” category should read as “Pale Ale - Other” and I moved Estonian things before it was known how big clusterfck this new style thing will be. At the moment joeT asked from the admins to not make changes to styles before new updates are live.

So we’re letting the dust settle and during this phase, Viper4 is helping classify change requests into three priority tiers. I won’t be moving beers for assignment into these categories until we have the first round of tier 1 high priority changes made. These changes will be based on admin discussions prior to the most recent styles push. We’ll make these change requests public and leave time for admin review.

Any criteria I use for making beer assignments will also be collaborative. I have faith it will go well. We can target country of origin, time of entry, terms in the beer name, former style assignment, words in the description, existing beer tags, abv… We can narrow the scope of changes to be very targeted. I’m sure we will have some false positives and false negatives while the expectation remains that these efforts will greatly reduce overall errors and speed the transition. I can use your help making criteria and checking for errors! Thanks so much in advance for your help!

5 Likes

I guess in retrospect it may have been more user friendly to introduce the new styles slowly if possible - there are so many more that I get lost! But it’s still a pretty good change in my opinion.

1 Like

Please make chili and pumpkin disapear into flavoured- vegetable.

4 Likes

Just a note that while three different spellings for chile are provided, all three are wrong. C’mon - we can quibble about styles and never agree but spelling shouldn’t be a thing.

Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. It’s just a matter of editing beers at this point.

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: New styles whining and bitching (grouping of posts from different New styles topics) Some out of sync

So we have chili beer as a style, but not fruited mead?

If someone wants to make me a temporary admin, I’ll correct the styles of all the beers I’ve rated under the new system. I’m not sending 10,000 or so corrections.

1 Like

I’m up to 113 styles can’t wait to try a pale ale.

7 Likes

At some point soon, Joe is going to run scripts that automatically convert things that need converting. Most of the admins are not bothering updating styles until that has happened. Hopefully there won’t be 10,000 corrections necessary.

3 Likes

Just saw that. :rofl::rofl: I’ve had one and it seems it’s a wasabi pale ale in Japan:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baird-wabi-sabi-japan-pale-ale/270880/128160/

Buy your plane ticket…

I also see that it ranks #6 out of 9 in the world… and my rating was “seems a little pointless”

Once the auto scripts start could be reclassified as a “Flavored - Other” rather than a “Pale Ale”. Would hold off buying that plane ticket. That will affect the average certainly.

1 Like

Some feedback on timelines… the scripts to move style assignments for beers will come after additional styles have been added. The Australian crew is focused on a very major promotional event this weekend (it’s Friday there) so although the changes have been made on QA, the new styles will not be seen on the live servers until next week. After this happens, I’ll begin beer style reassignments for beers. In the meantime, I’ll continue prepping. Thanks so much for your input in this regard. It’s been quite helpful.

7 Likes

An unenviable job you got there. Good luck!

1 Like

I see a few new styles have been added. I seem to have gone from 105 to 104. Not sure which style’s dropped off.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on the beer styles!
From the many discussions, stats and polls we added the following new styles today:

Low Alcohol - Wheat
Porter - Smoked
Smoked - Other
Specialty Grain-Rye/Roggenbier
Saison/Farmhouse - Flavored
Apple Cider - Flavored
Apple Cider - Hopped
Dark Lager - Premium
Mead - Braggot/Hopped
Mead - Melomel/Fruited
Mead - Metheglin/Spiced/Herbs
Sour/Wild - Dark
Pale Ale - Flavored

In addition to this, Rice Lager has been removed as a style. The beers that were in this style were reassigned to Pale Lager - Intl / Premium.

2 Likes

Sweet I’m excited about the mead and cider breakouts

1 Like

Dark Lager - Premium. Really? Surely a Dunkel or Schwarz?

Also no Stout - Smoked?

And still the pointless undefined Pale Ale? Surely that should go.

And if you have Low Alcohol - Light and Wheat surely you need a Dark too?

1 Like

Could you rename a few to make them fit with the current list?

Low Alcohol - Wheat
to
Low / No Alcohol Beer - Wheat

Specialty Grain-Rye/Roggenbier
to
Specialty Grain - Rye / Roggenbier
(at least put the spacers between grain and rye if limited in characters)

Saison/Farmhouse - Flavored
to
Saison / Farmhouse - Flavored

Dark Lager - Premium
to
Dark Lager - Intl / Premium
(most of them aren’t listed as Premium, but it was to be on par with Pale Lager - Intl / Premium)

Apple Cider - Hopped
to
Apple Cider - Graf / Hopped
(just to be on par with Mead - Braggot / Hopped which includes beer elements like malt and hop in the style, and at the same time, we would have a defined place where to put Graf)

Mead - Braggot/Hopped
to
Mead - Braggot / Hopped

Mead - Melomel/Fruited
to
Mead - Melomel / Fruited

Mead - Metheglin/Spiced/Herbs
to
Mead - Metheglin / Spiced / Herbs
(or at least Mead - Metheglin / Spice / Herb or Mead - Metheglin/ Spice/ Herb if too limited)

Sour/Wild - Dark
to
Sour / Wild Beer - Dark

Apple Cider-Ice/Fire/Fortified
to
Apple Cider - Ice / Fortified
(remove the Fire mention, it’s too rare to bother mention it)

@services

2 Likes