STYLES CHANGES (including NEIPA) WORLDWIDE! discussions

The style has been around for a while now, showing no sign of going away. The NEIPA-name is used in lots of shops, festivals, beer labels and in common beer talk.
The style seems to be pretty incorporated in the beer world, so why not make it a distinct style on ratebeer? Should not be to difficult too identify and differ from ‘normal’ IPA.

Edit: by subtle admin request, I added a poll below.

Should NEIPA be a style on Ratebeer?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Remember White IPA?

3 Likes

More than 650 beers are currently tagged as “white IPA”. In comparison, 850 are tagged as “new england IPA” plus a whopping 3000 as “cloudy IPA”, making it one of the most used tags on Ratebeer. And we all know, that tags are not used for all beers, so the real numbers probably should be even higher.

Faro is a style on its own, which has 22 beers in it. Including retired.

I’m not drawing conclusions here, just stating the facts. :innocent:

6 Likes

We also have the scottish ale…

As I am trying to reach 10 of each style, and I have only rated 3 with the NEIPA tag, I unfortunately have to be against adding it as a new style :wink:.

1 Like

and how many IPAs call themselves “West Coast IPA”?

Dunno, but we have 880 with the New England IPA tag and 455 with the West Coast IPA tag.

1 Like

Personally I find it more interesting to have it all within the same style because styles evolve with consumer preference. Remember what IPA was before west coast IPA? Those were the malty fuggle days. Same goes for saison. Ever tried comparing a Tired Hands saison with a saison d’Erpe-mère or Saison Dupont for that matter?

I seem to recall Joe doing a list of most common descriptors in a style, maybe we could do this by year to see the evolution of a beer style, that would be kinda cool.

P.S. Not against more style definitions or creation of NEIPA, just saying I don’t have an issue with the status quo either.

2 Likes

Florida Weisse

Why was Black IPA not a style?

black IPA is though

2 Likes

Ok, my fault. . But how many Black IPA we have nowadays? I thik this is just a nother trend.

Hard to tell, but a lot. I even saw a black neipa already.
Lots of beer styles start a novelty, become a trend and then become part of the landscape. Session IPA was a trend, so were black IPA and india style lager. Pilsner was a big new trend in the 19th century.
If a style is a trend, that doesn’t mean it will go away and should not be included as style on RB.

But in this case i think there´s a big difference: the really short shelflife of NEIPA´s. i´ve tried a few dozens, and apart from being basically the same, only few of them where in proper condition. Few days afte its prime i notice some harshness in most of them. This limits its distribution and hence its popularity. Of course we can all go to taprooms and it as fresh as possible. Should be Pilsner Urquell nefiltrovany considered a new style of pilsner?

That’s a technical issue. Should not matter in making it a style or not.

About the nefiltrovany. Since filtering or not is just a very small difference, I would say it’s not a seperate style. But I don’t see in what way this is relevant to the NEIPA-discussion.

1 Like

In essence, most IPA basically tastes the same. But it’s hard to give NEIPA the scores they deserve by being so cloudy. And they have the same variation in flavor as any other style of IPA. If you can’t tell the difference between Heady Topper and Sip of Sunshine, I feel sorry for you.

We have session IPA and English Pale Ale, given that why not NE IPA.

The first time I’ve tried a NEIPA, I did not know it was the so call NE style. So IMO, it’s not a new style!

Hopefully it will fade away!

Hvidtøl

1 Like