STYLES CHANGES (including NEIPA) WORLDWIDE! discussions

I wouldn’t, although I see your point. I’d say that the big difference in ABV does justify a distinction, but it’s also absolutely clear to me that my distinction might seem arbitrary. I’d still go for it, since it’s a more objective factor than hazyness or fruityness/bitterness and advertisement.

1 Like

I can see your point when comparing something like All Day IPA to a big 11% ABV Imperial IPA. But a lot of “normal” IPAs like Sculpin come in around 7% ABV, and many IIPAs are only in the 8.5% range. Pretty fair for those to be compared.

But, yeah, the distinction is arbitrary, and if you’re going to draw a line it has to be drawn somewhere, I suppose. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Absolutely right, splitting things up into ABV requires such a decision which might be arbitrary sometimes. But at least it’s a clear line.

Since a majority is against neipa being a new style, I suppose it will be introduced next week.

12 Likes

100% in favor of combining pale lager/premium lager and bitter/ESB.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

I actually came to see if anyone had posted this yet.

more relevant than ever now - here it is, the new style “IPA - New England”.

2 Likes

wow dortmunder and helles split up as well. plus fruit wine etc probably need new thread to discuss

we are having a very vivid discussion on this in the admin forums right now - and nothing is final as of now, especially not the fruit wine thing (which I have no problem with, I have a bigger problem with the split of Dortmunder and Helles).

Interesting, I like this development. Bit late, but still.

Always happy to have a few more styles to aim at, so thanks for these new ones!

Shame that the opportunity wasn’t taken to add a “Cider - with added stuff” category. Unless Ciders with rhubarb etc in are meant to be classified under fruit wine (which doesn’t feel right)?

Not entirely clear how I’d differentiate between dortmunder and helles (unless it said in the beer name), but then I’ve never been into lagers and I’m sure some people will appreciate this split.

you can’t. nobody really can.

1 Like

Yeah, the Dortmunder is a bit drier to me but I reckon that the line is not clear cut.

So where do we drop NE DIPAs? Who is going to take the last 300 IPAs I rated and move them? I guess I will start sending corrections for the majority of my previous 500 ratings. Not against this, but my work is cut out for me pretty good.

2 Likes

Oh god no. Not more styles nobody can differentiate between. What’s the point in all that?

1 Like

Most of us were in favor of a few new styles only a handful of vocal dissenters. At least that’s my gauge of forums discussions over last few years.

If some styles get split, I’m telling you right now, I’m not going to do the work…

Lol. From Untappd:
IPA - Imperial / Double New England