STYLES CHANGES (including NEIPA) WORLDWIDE! discussions

I think we can argue for a long time about the session/ regular / imperial.

Some styles often have those 3 but don’t have dedicated styles for them… Brown Ales, NEIPAs, Cream Ales, Black IPAs

Problem for the IPAs, by creating styles based on abv AND by styles based on look/taste (Black, NEIPA and Regular) vs (Session and Imperial), people will always add them randomly between those category…

For Brown Ales and Cream Ale, they normally put sessions and Imperials all together in the same Brown Ale style without problem…because they aren’t available to choose.

It would be so easy if we didn’t have Session and Imperial styles as choice to begin with and they would automatically be classified as “Session” or “Imperial” based on the abv entered for the beer…but again, we don’t always know the abv when adding a beer, or people just leave the abv field blank…

Usually you can find the ABV on Untappd… they’re generally better about having those kind of details.

At least the site clearly says that U FFF*D! :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel we might as well create a separate imperial neipa caregory… 50% of Other Half’s output is just that. If we can differentiate IPA from DIPA why not with the haze too. Or we can do ehat we did with black IPA and and jist throw it all in one caregory…

100% agree just didn’t bother suggesting it assuming it’d be shot down :confused:

This may or may not be of interest.

155 styles on Untappd as of 2016.

That’s quite outdated, a number of those were deleted, and quite a few more were added.

I don’t suggest RB adds all of them though as some are so rare it seems pointless, others are branching out into very new trends (IPA - Brut, for example).

1 Like

I don’t know. I reckon IPA should be the main style, the rest are sub styles. Perhaps have a drop down menu listing the subs so you can click on one when you’re adding a new IPA.

Insert Sub Styles here

Just thinking out loud as whatever route RB takes, there’s tons of work to be done.

2 Likes

I was literally just editing my post to call back to an earlier post (now lost in this thread) where this was suggested, would be a nice neat and tidy way to do it but probably far more dev work. I’m pleased enough with the style additions/renames that have taken place so far. I do wish for more, but not as many as Untappd.

I do think stout should be expanded. Whatever the non-derogatory term for “pastry stout” should have its own style I think.

1 Like

Also what is the threshold for NEIPA? Should it be Heady Topper and hazier? Thoughts?

It should be marketed as NEIPA/Hazy IPA/Murky IPA/etc.

But some British types tend to regard anything you can’t read a newspaper through as murky.

A couple of the styles need tidying up - spaces need adding berfore and after the oblique:

Grodziskie/Gose/Lichtenhainer

Imperial Pils/Strong Pale Lager

Sahti/Gotlandsdricke/Koduõlu/Culturally Appropriated Ale

1 Like

Also how about adding IPA - Imperial NEIPA, etc, and then counter than by making all Irish and Scottish Ales Bitters, and Pale Ale - English also getting ditched.

@Leighton I miss your input in this thread!

Can you name me one thing in common between those two clearly distinct styles apart from their initial and trailing letters? OK, they’re both foreign, so that’s 3 things in common, so they must be the same.

3 Likes

Quite a lot of the newspapers are murky. Some American types don’t notice this when trying to read them through their cloudy beers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Calling Altbier & Kölsh Anglo-American Ales seems straight-up bizarre just because they are top fermenting. Pretty sure everyone can agree on them being Germanic.

4 Likes

Lervig’s Liquid Sex Robot is now an IPA - Imperial / Double. The brewers description says it’s a DIPA. The description on here says NEIPA. It offers up quite a bit more bitterness than some other NEIPAs, but it’s as hazy and fruity sweet as many of the good ones. So - is it correctly filed as a DIPA because, well, that’s what the brewer says? Or is it a DNEIPA?

Erm, I think you’ve unwittingly isolated the problem, independent of any style.